IR Thermography

I assume the person who told me such equipment costs (used to find heat leaks and water leaks in buildings and even bodies in a cemetary) in the six figures was accurate, but I've always learned to ask stupid questions rather than remain ignorant. I assume those lamps used to find pet odors in the rug are UV and not IR?
                - = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist      BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Fooey on GIU,Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]
Hrm, can anyone with experience with this post a followup? For highly detailed thermal imaging I can imagine it would be expensive, but just for taking pictures of a building in the winter and looking for heat leaks...wouldn't that be more straightforward? Some of today's digital video cameras use some form of thermal imaging for "night shots", seems like the building imaging would be similar...
I'd be interested in imaging my house (if I could afford an IR filter or whatever it might take) just so I know where to focus future efforts, including determining where old blown insulation might have settled in the walls...

group]
I know an engineer in Clemson SC with a thermal imaging camera. He told me it cost $35,000.00. Then he told me the tripod was extra ;-). I thought at that price they would include the tripod!
Stretch
The ones we got for our firetrucks were $9,000 and $12,000 each iirc. They were handheld, Scott brand. Pretty cool equipment actually. One is B/W, the other uses color variants to show heat differences.
I do believe the ones for pet stains on rugs are UV, and not IR, but I may be wrong.
Chris

The engineer's thermal imager (TI)was probably a CALIBRATED,cooled imager with computer processing to assign colors to indicate different temperature levels,and a wider dynamic range. Your firefighter TI is a simpler,cheaper uncooled bolometer array.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik