iPhone code cracked

Page 2 of 3
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 7:37:57 AM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

Completely wrong. Read the actual court order. It says nothing at all about that. It simply asked Apple to:
1 - Disable the 10 strike erase feature
2 - Give them a means to electronically present passcodes via, USB, wifi, etc.

BS. Read the court order.

BS. Read the court order.

Sure, that's why they went to court, right?

The remaining step is for whoever helped the FBI or some other hacker to put the method on the web. See how Apple likes that.

It's not over. It's very likely another police agency with soon resume, where this left off. This wasn't the only iphone.
On 3/29/2016 7:10 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Who they going to prosecute? The dead terrorist? What they need to know is what else may be planned and who is involved. I personally don't care about chain of custody if they pull a bomb out or the garage down the street from my house.

an as yet unknown accomplice. perhaps.

Given that the phone in question was issued by the county, and used for work by the shooter, who had (and very completely destroyed) a personal phone as well, it is _highly_ likely that they got nothing from it.
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 1:51:11 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Who cares. No one can know what they will or won't find. It's up to law enforcement to pursue every possible avenue. I guess you'd prefer the lib approach, like Belgium, ie the Keystone Cops who can't intercept attacks even when they have 4 months, lots of people involved, one directly involved in custody for 4 days before Brussels got blown up. That's what the lib approach will do for you. Even now that idiot Obama said over the weekend that we need to take in more muslim refugees so they can help us prevent terrorism. Go figure. That's a new low, even for him.

Apple

discussing the

No, the *other* terrorists they arrest by following up on the information they found in the phone. *Those* prosecutions are potentially tainted if the phone has been out of the FBI's possession.

You haven't thought that one through. Without a clean chain of custody, they cannot show probable cause to obtain a warrant to search that garage.
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 00:30:56 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

If they are offshore, Obama will just kill them. We are not seeing many arrests these days.
Oren posted for all of us...

You have latched onto one of my pet issues and now raised my blood pressure for which I cannot afford the meds anymore. But don't worry Obamouncare will pay for my mind control.
--
Tekkie

On 3/29/2016 8:30 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

They won't need the info from the phone. They may be stopped for a broken taillight and the police may notice something suspicious in the car.

I have enough faith in the FBI and CIA to come up with whatever they need. Maybe a neighbor will call that they smell gas coming from the garage.

I think a lot of those "get lucky" traffic stops are the result of illegal wire taps, "sneak and peeks" and other things that would not meet legal muster if we knew about them

Theoretically if evidence came from an illegal tap, it is fruit of the poison tree but if it never comes out that the underlying information was illegally developed, off to jail they go.
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 3:58:41 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

+1
On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 11:15:40 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

That's not true. The FBI didn't specify how they wanted Apple to do what needed to be done. There was no requirement that it be "pushable" or that the FBI even have any direct access to what Apple created. The FBI even offered to let Apple have possession of the phone, modify it, then let the FBI access this one phone remotely.

I'd say Apple lost the battle. It's clear now that an outside third party, which could be anyone from someone at a security firm to a hacker, provided the FBI with a way into Apple's phone products which Apple claims are so super secure. What's better? Apple having cooperated quietly? Or Apple having raised a big stink and now everyone knows that at least some unknown person out there knows how to crack their phones? The only remaining step if for the technique to be made public on the web, finishing the humiliation of Apple.
On 3/29/2016 8:12 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Once it hit the 11 o'clock news they both lost.
On 3/28/2016 11:12 PM, Don Y wrote:

Yes! All we should have heard is, "the FBI was able to read information from the phone" and that is all. And some junior high kid could have been $20 richer for having cracked it for them.
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 11:20:52 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised that the FBI paid actually paid $50K, $100K+ for it. I'd certainly have demanded payment.
On 3/29/2016 8:21 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They shouldn't have even said *that*! It now tells bad guys that their phone is a potential "information leak"!

Doubtful this was a "simple" hack. I'd imagine a fair bit of special hardware and tuned expertise was involved. I.e., they had the phone *apart* to get at what they wanted.
Designing with security in mind is a very different sort of activity from "just throwing something together that does X". Ever notice how many "security updates" you've installed on your PC? And, presumably, MS had at least *some* interest in making a secure product!
In the late 70's, I worked in an industry that saw large losses to counterfeited products. We would "challenge" our (legitimate) competitors to crack our protection schemes -- knowing that they had as much at stake protecting their products as we did, ours. We would remove part numbers from components (obscuring their nature), remove "chips" from their packages, xray items to see what's under the plastic, embed bits of metal and wire to confound xray attempts, design "custom" chips that implemented key functionalities, etc.
I.e., a well funded competitor would spend a lot of money to TRY to copy what we'd done -- let alone try to *change* it in the process. Not the sort of thing someone is going to do in their garage...
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 3:35:25 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

What should they have done, lied to the court? Even just the govt dropping the case, everyone with connected brain cells would know what happened.

+1
--
Tekkie

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 3:33:24 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:

the

Potentially even worse, so does some unknown third party. It may be the Israeli security firm that helped them, but that is speculation at this point. Also, we don't know how many hackers took up the challenge and may still be working on it too.