IOT Is email data?

Page 2 of 2
On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 7:35:44 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Depending on the phone, you should be able to choose from different screen lock options. I use the pattern draw and you can change it to whatever pattern you want. There is an option for a number code too. You've probably looked at the options in your system security menu, but if you haven't there may be something you like better.

Maybe you just have a bad phone. Mine is a ZTE Awe, nothing fancy, but the screen works perfectly.

I rarely use it when driving, but I don't think it's much harder to answer than my old non-smart phone. It comes up with a blinking icon in the center, with a red dismiss one to the left, a green answer one to the right. You just have to swipe from center to left or right. The old phone, as I recall, you had to press a button. I guess that might be a little easier. On some, I think you can change how many rings before it goes to voicemail.
Speaking of voicemail, one great thing on smartphones is you can put a visual voicemail app on many of them. Instead of having to go through 6 unknown msgs one at a time to figure out who they are, etc, you can see the six listed on the app, who they are and pick any of them to listen to in any order.

The ones I've seen, eg iPhone or a couple of Androids, all you have to do is the unlock process. Either enter a code, draw the pattern, etc. You can disable the lock, but then if you lose the phone, anyone has access.

If I'm expecting an email or have reason to check, I use mine at home, even when watching TV, instead of going to the computer.

The problem is you still have to do it. Then manually transfer the pics. And hence, unless it's something I really need at the moment, then it rarely gets done. I like knowing that when I take a pic, it's going to automatically get stored to the PC and optionally online at dropbox too. That way it's not only done, accessible, but it can't get lost and if I need space on the phone, I can just delete pics.

I have mine set to back up all the critical data from the phone automatically. That way if the phone is lost, screwed up, etc I have it.
micky wrote:

trader_4 posted for all of us...

Get a free Obamaphone and it will solve your problem.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Thanks for the correction. I don't own a cell phone and I didn't know that.
On 5/9/2015 10:23 PM, micky wrote:

Maybe Ting has a better plan for you?
https://ting.com/rates
And FWIW, if you ever need assistance, Ting's customer service is awesome!
On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 9:08:50 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

I went with Zact a year and a half ago, which is similar to Ting. Both ride on Sprint's network and offer plans where you can buy just the mins, texts, data that you need. Pricing was even similar, biggest difference was that the granularity or bucket size if you will, was smaller on Zact. And Zact had a promo going where I got a ZTE Awe smartphone and 4 months of free service for $100. I've been very happy with it. Previously I had Verizon, the coverage, signal strength, isn't as good, but it's worked perfectly adequately, no dropped calls, sound is good, etc. Difference is that Verizon wanted $80 for a data plan back then. I've been paying about $15 a month with Zact.
Last summer, Virgin Mobile bought out Zact and took the concept and sales of the phones exclusively to Walmart. I didn't see any advertising, anything to try to sell the phones. In Jan, they announced they are ending sales. But the plans are continuing, at least for now. Having been selling the phones as recently as a couple months ago, I would expect they will keep the plans going for existing customers for at least a year.
If I was looking for a new phone today, Ting would be the place I'd start. It all depends on usage. If you use 1000 mins, 1GB of data, etc, then any of the major carriers are an option. They all have plans of ~$35 now. But if you only use a couple hundred mins, couple hundred megs of data, etc, then you can save a lot with Ting. The problem I see for Ting is that just 18 months ago, those plans from the majors were costing ~$80. That left a lot of room underneath for Ting, Zact, etc. With the major carrier plans now down to $35, and likely headed lower, there isn't that much room left below.

I went with Republic wireless. For what they call $ 10 per month ( $ 12 after the taxes) I get unlimiated calling and texting. The data is by the wifi networks. Anytime I want to, I can switch to data over the cell towers and off again for the rate of $ 20 per month. With all the wifi around , I have never tried to do the data over the cell towers. Only down side I know of is that you have to use their phones and the cheapest one is about $ 100. I did go with a $ 200 phone. Nice Motorolo G one.
On Sun, 10 May 2015 09:45:57 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Ting does look good and Replublic sounds good and Zact is probably good,
But would I have to change phone numbers?
And I think my phone is still locked to ATT.
I'd have to unlock it somehow or get a different phone, right?
I don't like this phone and wouldn't mind getting a different phone.
If I find my flipphone, are they also locked to one carrier or another?

micky posted for all of us...

No, it is called portability by the FCC.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 2:20:26 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Zact is kaput. They got bought out last year by Virgin Mobile. Virgin put the Zact phones with the adjust your plan on the fly concept into Walmart, branded as VM Custom, for about 6 months, then discontinued it. I still have the plan and phone with Virgin now, hopefully it will remain the same for some time to come, but it's no longer available for new customers.

In almost all cases, you can port your number. Some carriers might charge to do the port.

You have to see which phones the specific carrier of interest supports. They have lists.

They might be.

That plan sounds good if you rarely have to pay the extra $20 to get data access. If you pay the extra most months, then it's the same as the major carriers, ie ~$35. That's why I liked. You can adjust the plan in smaller increments, any time, from the phone, on the fly. With Zact which became Virgin, I can get ~250V, 250T, 250MB data for ~$20. With no data it's just $12.

It is not an extra $ 20, but it just goes up by $ 10 for a total of $ 20, not $ 30. The data is free for the wifi with that deal and only costs if going through a cell tower. I am not really that much into the data away from home and have only used the wifi away from home. Sems like where I go most places have wifi. I have only had the phone for about a year and a half. One drawback on that phone is that it has special software and you can not put a miniSD card in it. The camera says 5 meg, but I don't think it takes as good of pix as a 4 meg digital camera I have. Almost never use that function. Best thing I have found for me is the calander program to keep up with things I forget about.
On 05/10/2015 03:24 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

[snip]
Virgin uses the Sprint network (like Ting). However, I had some really bad experiences with customer service. It's hard to get to talk to a person and they ignored 90% or so of what I said (possibly because of not speaking English well).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

AIUI, it's no better. Just the same ting.

I'll check it out.
On 05/10/2015 08:09 AM, Bill wrote:

Yes, you get to talk to a real person who speaks English.
On Ting, MMS (picture messaging) is data, and costs a lot less than SMS which is not considered data.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
Mark Lloyd wrote:

It is a matter of swapping out SIM card in your phone if it is GSM type. SIM card costs like 10 bucks. Unlocking is not that hard.
On 05/10/2015 01:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Verizon and Sprint use CDMA, AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. Where I am, Verizon is about the only real game in town. I've never had a problem when traveling through the area west of the Rockies. At one time GSM was more of a west coast thing but I believe it's spread out.
It doesn't do voice at all but my Verizon MiFi is LTE.
On 05/10/2015 02:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
[snip]

Here, the only carriers that provide a usable signal are CDMA (Sprint (which Ting uses) and Verion.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/