IOT Is email data?

Page 1 of 2
OT I have a cell phone with no data plan.
I'm reading about using email from the phone, but is email data?
Does that mean no email for me?
Thanks.
On 05/09/2015 08:23 PM, micky wrote:

Right.
If the phone has wifi you can use it via wi fi. Mark
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Then usually you can receive but can't send email.

Why? If you can connect to the incoming server you can connect to the outgoing server. Mine always worked both ways before I had a data plan.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

For example Starbuck WiFi won't tx email out only rx. it maybe my email server which is thunderbird or my ISP. I did not try other servers. Maybe I should try hotmail or gmail.
Tony Hwang wrote:

I found when I was "commuting" between Mwemphis and home that I could receive my Mtn View emails but not send from Memphis . My msn.com worked equally well in either location . I think it's that way with most ISP's , you can receive but not send when you're connected to another ISP .
--
Snag

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 7:38:02 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

What's going on here may depend on what kind of email system you're using, ie is it web based or client/server based? If you're using web based, then it should work anywhere as long as you're connected via either wifi or data plan. That's what I use and I haven't seen it not work. Whenever I've tried my email while traveling around, it's worked on every wifi. On the other hand, if you're using a client/server based system that relies on access to the email server at your ISP, then IDK. In some cases, maybe the ISP only provides access to their email server if you're on their system? Seems odd, as I would think this would be a big problem today, with so many people mobile.....
On 05/10/2015 12:44 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
[snip]

Thunderbird is an email client, not a server.
"rx but not tx" isn't a WiFi problem, but a server problem. I would suspect you are using an email server operated by your ISP. The outgoing (SMTP) server is probably blocking access other than from that ISP. This is common. It should work if you're at home and connected to your own WiFi.
The above is one reason why I use a different server (I have a registered domain) for email. It's accessible from anywhere.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Yes, it is data. Depending on the carrier, it is at least $15 to $25 a month.
However, you can connect via Wi-Fi and that is free. There is free Wi-Fi in many places when you travel. A lot of stores and restaurants have it, some cities even have free connection on the street.

How can I keep forgetting that I have wifi? Thanks a lot.
Of course this means I have to read the part of the manual dealing with email.

I was just south of Wilmington Delaware and couldn't find the stores I was looking for. I saw a Home Depot on the othe side of the road and a McDonalds much closer. They had wifi. It turned out one of the stores was next door to the McDonalds but had been torn down. I gave up looking for the other one.
Thanks all.

Yes, anything other than a voice call is considered "data".

Almost. Texting does not go against the data and is not voice. You need either a texting plan or pay per use.
On 5/10/2015 7:47 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Following thread, it's also an answer I would like to know.
I have a basic Tracphone with thousands of rolled over minutes.
I just use it for calls but apparently have internet access but cannot address anything as email because there is no way to make the "@" sign.
I see Tracphones with touch screens with internet access and some say they need a data plan.
Just wondering if you could occasionally consume minutes for this or if phone would only work with wifi access.
On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 8:51:43 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

Not sure exactly what the question is. Tracfone has smartphones and smartphone plans that include data. I would assume that if you have one of their smartphones that supports data and one of their plans, you could use it for email on the network and also use it on wifi like you can with every other phone I've seen.
If you have a phone that doesn't have an "@" sign, it's not a smartphone and IDK what kind of email capability it would have, but I would suspect none. One game that most carriers still play is that even though from a technical perspective, you could buy a smartphone and only use it for voice on their network and rely strictly on wifi for data, they won't allow you to do that. They insist you have a data plan with a smartphone.
On Sun, 10 May 2015 06:10:07 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I don't know if I got around something or not. I got a GO-phone, a pre-paid phone from ATT, with no data, and then I bought on ebay a smartphone. Switiched the SIMM card and now I have a smartphone with no data plan.
Later I saw the very same smartphone for sale new, at BestBuy (only 100 dollars) and Walmart as a GO-phone, but think it required a data plan, even with prepaid. (I'd better check again.) Even assuming I got away with something, I don't know if one could when not using AT&T.
The only thing I've done so far that involves wifi is to enter a url that says if airplanes are on time, (This worked at home, but I couldn't find a place at the airport which had wifi without getting out of my car, and that was too much trouble.)
I hate the smart phone, and as soon as I find my flip phone, I'm putting the SIMM card back in it, and I'll carry the smart phone in the car's trunk, for emergencies, if any.
On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 1:51:47 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Sounds like you did.

Why do you hate the smartphone? I loved mine from the minute I got it. I use it to access email, the web, it gives me constantly updated news headlines, weather for the next 5 days on the homescreen, gasguru gives me the lowest gas prices in the area. With dropbox, if I take a pic, it's automatically sent to dropbox on my PC. I'd never go back to a regular cell phone.
On Sun, 10 May 2015 13:27:45 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

All that and more. Track flights while waiting to head to the airport, weather any place in the world, especially if you travel, weather alerts, banking, deposit checks, (yes, deposit checks from the phone, not the bank). Find restaurants, shop, the list just never ends.
Never thought I'd be texting either, but I send a few every day.

I wanted to do that once, but don't have a data plan and couldn't find wifi without leaving my car. I figured he'd show up eventually, or call, and he did.

I agree. It's a technical marvel.

I don't plan to ever text, except.... it seems if one is contracting with someone, it's good to get it in texts and save it. They use this stuff all the time on TV court shows, and the litigants have agreed to or admitted to everything much of the time,. IIRC regarding Deflategate, there are text messages talking about how low the air pressure was. Hard to believe people would write that down.
On Sun, 10 May 2015 13:27:45 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

When it's time to swipe the thing from the left to the right, to wake it up, when first turning it on and other times, it can take me several tries. Once it took over 8 tries.
Some other "buttons" don't work on the first try either. A gifl friend tells me** I'm capacitively endowed, and that might be good but not when using a cell phone.
When I get a call while driving, which has only been twice so far, once just as I was getting on a narrow, curved expressway ramp, I can't swipe that thing and drive at the same time. I'll pull over to talk, but it will go to voice mail before I can pull over if I don't answer. right away
When the screen goes dark, it takes 3 steps to wake it up again.
More stuff like that.
It was just so easy to use the "bar" phone and later the flip phone.
**Just kidding. But maybe there's some reason capacitvie buttons work better for other people.

I will never do any of those things. I'm home a lot, but I'm out a lot too, and only once have I wanted to read my email while out. (If a particular email had come, I might have been able to do a second errand in the same place on one trip. But when I got home, the email hadn't come anyhow. (I think it never did,))
(But, if I ever had to, that's why I will keep the smart phone and a car charger in the trunk.)

I do like the camera, though I've only used it a couple times, but I don't need to send photos to the PC.
The previous phone, the flipphone, was a Samsung, which provided software (Samsung PC Studio 3) to read and update the phone storage, like the address book, as if it were a USB drive. Not as convenient as Blue Tooth, but I only took a second to plug in the cable.
Android otoh keeps trying to get me to tie my phone to my gmail address, and store all my contacts on their server. I don't want to do that. It's bad enough people I know are storing my name and number on their server.