Ionizer recommendations

I am looking for some recommendations.
I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is about 15 ft. X 20 ft.
My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and a HEPA filter.
I would like opinions from folks that have such a unit.
Thanks so much.
Andy
Andy wrote:

I never saw anything which works to 100% satisfaction.

You don't need an ionizer but they help collect dirt on your walls.
My brother likes his air cleaner. I have played with many and made many. This one measures the air and controls fan speed when needed. XJ-3800 Intelli-Pro Air
Cool
I sometimes use my ozone machine by enally to clean a room or house when vacant.
Greg
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:04:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy

I disagree. I've bought a few of the Alpine Air XL-15's on ebay for $50 or so. [$150 new on ebay-- $600 from the manufacturer]
My son uses them on used cars to get rid of smoke, pet, and god-only-knows smells. Crank it up, leave it overnight in the car & it is springtime fresh in the AM.
We've used them in musky rooms & smokey rooms with good results.
The ozone plates are sometimes fragile. [I'll go a year without replacing one-- then have to replace 3 in a month] So if you get one-- order a couple extra plates on ebay, too.
Jim

Ozone is not good for you. Best to not use them in a room where you will sleep while it is on. But as an odor control it's great if you generate enough of it.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

When negative ion is produced Ozone is byproduct. Good neg. ion generator produce almost no Ozone. Ozone is bad for you.

It's the ozone that deals with the odors. The extra oxygen atom is looking for something to bond with. It bonds with the molecule or bacteria that is producing the odor.
Ozone is an irritant. I would not run one in a closed bedroom while someone is sleeping.

I found out that I need a negative ion generator.

Good luck seperating the hype from reaity.
The actual definition of a negative ion is any atom where the total number of elctrons exceeds the number of protons. In other words a negatively charged atom of any element is a negative ion.
Oxygen will form a molecule with just about any other element. Oxygen normally exists as a pair of atoms. Because of that it sometimes has to be coaxed a little into forming bonds with other atoms. Not much. A single oxgen atom, pretty rare, an oxygen molecule missing electrons, or a triple atom oxygen molecule, aka ozone, all will jump at the chance to form a bond with something else. That's what makes them good at dealing with odors and killing bacteria. They're pretty much on the hunt for something to bond with.
None of them are particularly good for you in large quantities. But the more of it you have the better it is at dealing with odors. That's why most of the serious equipment for doing this is used by placing it in the space, closing the door, and leaving it alone.
The "junk" you buy on the internet doesn't really generate a whole lot.
On 9/27/2011 12:23 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

But if you don't generate ozone you don't destroy odors.
On 9/27/2011 8:42 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

when it is occupied unless the OP means someone trashed the room and they are trying to remove the smoke.

-snip-
So you run it when no-one is in the room. An overnight run on high will most likely rid the room of odors. If one night doesn't do it, a couple will.
Jim

Dont have one now but the ones meant to run all the time while you are in the room dont work. The ones that work arent safe to be in the room with when they are running. The Ozone they generate is worse than the cigarettes for your lungs. Motel supply places carry the good ones so I would start by looking there. They can only do so much to clean up a smoker's room. Best to start out with a clean room, this may mean ripping out carpets sealing floors and scrubbing then painting walls. Minimize soft materials in the room that can absorb odors. Beds aren't too much of a problem because they can be laundered but you may want to think about mattress and pillow covers.
Jimmie

Ozone is a polutant that harms the lungs and more, before you do this it would be smart to google titles like Ozone and asthma, danger of Ozone generators, Ozone exposure is even rated in hours by all our government agencies, Google Ozone exposure limits, You will find you dont want a ozone generator, especialy since you smoke, mine made me sick for years. Its a bad idea

Yes, never let sun in from the windows, produces ozone.
Greg

Not enough to make any difference.

Ignorant answer, google about the dangers of ozone producing machines and gov exposure limits