"Inverter" Microwave?

I got a box sitting in the garage with the new microwave in it. Walking past it tonight, my wife looked at the box and commented on the label, "Honey, what does "inverter" mean?"
I told her that I would formulate an answer, and get back to her.
What does "inverter" mean on a new microwave?
Steve

Variable power. Greg
it means it inverts,,,,,,[ questions] it doesnt Divert them, tell her it cooks food backwards [ inverts ] special new high $$$$ process
or say you dont know its all bs. which it is........

Well, it is just like a CONvertor, only different. Easy eh?
Actually, it is an automatic power adjusting system. Below is some information poached from the Panasonic people
While "cool on the inside, crisp on the outside" might seem like a description for Baked Alaska, it's not what you want when you cook food in the microwave.
The Panasonic Genius Inverter microwave oven includes new features to stop that from happening.
In fact its "Inverter" technology adjusts power levels during cooking, defrosting and reheating to make sure that the item in the oven is not reduced to a representation of all the world's climates on a plate.

Hi,
Something that may help with that inverter..... http://www.panasonic.ca/English/appliance/microwave/inverter.asp
Hi Steve,
Inverter models allow true variable power output from a magnetron, as opposed to the traditional system, which has to cycle the magnetron on/off (always at full power during 'on' cycle) to attain faster/slower cooking.
However, I've repaired microwaves for 32 years, and 'Inverter' has come to mean two things to me:
1) An oven that's a whole lot lighter to lug around (no more heavy high voltage transformer)
2) An oven that's a lot less reliable, and doesn't last nearly as long. 'Hate to have to tell you that, but that's what we've been seeing. No need to mention that to your wife <grin>.
God bless,
Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA www.DavesRepair.com snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com 570-363-2404
I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter. (Back issues now posted here too!) www.DavesRepair.com
John 3:3

Really handy for those aukward to begin with OTR microwaves!
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+microwaves
=~~~~~~
It uses a solid state high frequency switching power supply with variable output in place of the basic ole tranformer, diode, capacitor voltage doubler DC supply. John

SteveB writes:

Switching power supply vs linear (transformer) type. Allows electronic control of power levels. Lighter weight. More complex, less reliable, potentially cheaper.