Inverter in new cars

Page 1 of 3
I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble light, what else is it good for?
Hank <~~~knows 150 watts isn't much
On 11/26/2010 08:16 AM, Hank wrote:

might be enough to run a laptop, but I prefer to use an AC/DC adapter for that. I bought one for about $100 with a whole mess of different tips so I can use it with most popular laptops. Also have a Dell specific one somewhere, but I think it is only 90W so it wouldn't work with my old Precision M90 which was a power hungry beastie.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 11/26/2010 8:08 AM, Shaun Eli wrote:

I just looked at the bottom label on one of my chargers and it lists power input 115 volts AC at 12 watts. Look at the label on your charger or power supply and see if it lists watts, if not, watts = volts x current. The manufacturer may use different voltages anywhere from 100 to 230 volts AC for a universal type power supply and it may list current for both high and low voltage input. A little math will tell you if it will work or not.
TDD

I dont think so, I dont know of any sump pump that will run on 150, those pumps also have a heavy surge startup load, maybe 4x so that would easily lock out an inverter

A 150 W sump pump? I doubt such a thing exists in the home market. Yu could hook up a half dozen Hyundai's in series to run a standard sump pump...a little pricey, though.
Joe
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Inverters dont have gasoline in them. You mean a generator.
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:29:47 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@thenet.com wrote:

No.perhaps he really means an inverter. The E series Honda gensets are low voltage DC generators powering an inverter to produce 120V AC.
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 05:44:12 -0800 (PST), Shaun Eli

No it wont run a sump pump. It wont even run a small electric drill. Aside from a trouble light, electric razor, and to charge your cellphone, 150W is pretty much useless.
snipped-for-privacy@thenet.com wrote in wrote:

small portable TV/radios,when power is knocked out to your home. Like after a hurriccane or bad storm.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:33:24 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@thenet.com wrote:

True. I just checked. It won't run a George Foreman grill (even if I had one).
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:33:24 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@thenet.com wrote:

It will run most TVs and DVD players, as well as most computers - virtually all laptops,

Plug in your AC phone, computer, whatever, charger so you don't need to buy a 'car charger'.
Jim

Charge cordless tools, a Kenner Easy Bake oven, a small tv, a worklight, a shaver, a 120v cell phone charger, a laptop-maybe.
On 11/26/2010 8:16 AM, Hank wrote:

My wife sometime has a sore back and we bring a heating pad with a small inverter. She thinks it was a great idea.

She sits a lot, and has a longer second toe.

I ran a P166 class PC in my car for an MP3 player for many years on a small inverter like that running DOS and MPXPLAY. I still have not found a commercially made MP3 player with as user friendly interface. I am at an impasse right now because I can't find any more socket 7 boards and newer machines can't handle the heat.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The Ford / M$ Sync setup plays MP3s and damned near anything else with a nice UI and voice commands if you want them.

My wife has sync in a Lincoln, I am not impressed