Internet to TV players, services?

Page 1 of 2
I'm curious if anyone is using just the internet for their TV viewing. How does it compare to other sources of TV content?
Thanks muchly.
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 21:05:15 -0500, Dean Hoffman

I have had a regular PC connected to my PC for over a decade. I don't get a lot of online content but I use it like a DVR, music player and web browser. I am looking at a Netflix subscription as we speak.
Once you get to a flat screen with a VGA connector, it is just your monitor. Add a blue tooth keyboard and mouse and you have an armchair entertainment center for $100 or whatever you can find an "off lease" used computer for. You need something "dual core" for most new video capture cards but they are still out there cheap.
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 22:22:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What's the range for that?
With my most likely configuration, I need 50 or 60 feet? Suggesstions?

Bluetooth is supposed to go 30 feet, give or take with clear line of sight. Count on 20. You can extend the USB and get your bluetooth hub a little closer if you like. I have some 16 foot extenders that you can cascade out to 80 feet.. I have one on the bluetooth so I can run the PC in the living room from the back room.
The VGA put goes to the big screen in the living room and the A/V output goes into an agile modulator that is set to an unused channel on my house cable bus along with 4 Dish tuners and a ReplayTV.
On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 00:28:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thanks. This might well do it.

USB Turntables can be used to transfer vinyl to MP3.
I have a basic USB Turntable from ION, but you can get some pretty neat devices from them.
http://www.ionaudio.com/products/turntables

I also have turntables that are pre-USB. Those are used with my sound system.
SWMBO bought the USB turntable specifically to transfer vinyl to MP3. It came with software and plugs right into the PC. I just updated the software to the Win 7 version but haven't tested it yet.
For VHS to DVD, I've used my DVD-VCR combo unit.
This weekend I want to try connecting my DVR to my USB-TV Tuner to transfer some wood working shows to my PC. Lots of tips and techniques that I want to save.

My Samsung VHS-DVD Combo unit does the same thing, plus copies VHS to DVD.
I've burnt a bunch of DVD's already but I'm curious to see if my USB TV Tuner can do as good a job saving DVR'd show to my PC. SWMBO just left to visit my daughters at college, so I've got the weekend to screw around with technology.
Per DerbyDad03:

I have been using SageTV running 24-7 on my main PC with 4 tuners.
Greatest thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned.
Unfortunately Google bought it out and killed the product.
There's an analog in the Linux world called MythTV that I failed to master, but which others swear by.
--
Pete Cresswell

I just used a sound card plugged into my stereo and Audacity. Cheap (software is free) and it works quite well. Audacity is a very good sound program, at least for what you pay for it. ;-)

Yep...been using Audacity for years. I've even used it to fix skips in vinyl to MP3 transfers. Just cut and paste from another part of the track.
Of course, there a few skips that I had to keep. After listening to the same skip thousands of times as a teen, it's the only way certain songs sound right. ;-)

dadiOH's dandies - How to record vinyl & cassettes to MP3 http://mysite.verizon.net/xico/
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Note that it contains a .hlp fie and that MS decided that Windows users beginning with Vista really didn't need to read .hlp files. There is a link on my page to MS for a reader for them (for Vista, assume it works in Win7/8 too).
--

dadiOH
____________________________

So your computer has built in Bluetooth but no HDMI output?

I have a bluetooth dongle on the end of a USB cable
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 21:05:15 -0500, Dean Hoffman

How would he know?

Get it? If he uses just the internet and nothing else, how can he compare it with other sources!
Darn. I was going to uise this my Vegas act. I guess I'll need something else instead.
On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 2:34:57 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Gee, let me think...
He's used other soruces in the past and settled on the Internet only because he did a comparison?
On 10/2/13 1:34 PM, micky wrote:

Carson had Ed McMahon for backup. Tea for Two soft shoe. http://tinyurl.com/mvgt9hs in case you've been culturally deprived due to lack of years.
On 09/30/2013 10:05 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

We use a Roku box with Amazon streaming video. Works great! No commercials.