Intermittent static when viewing cable, cable ready problem?

Page 2 of 2

Is there an echo in here??
After you swapped tvs and the problem did not reoccur, did you go back to the original location for each set, or did you leave them swapped? That is crucial to know before we make further prognoses.
H. R. Hofmann
good suggestion good suggestion good suggestion good suggestion
I swapped in a different tv. I did not carry the 31" downstairs. The new set did not have any static at any time.
I tried what electricitym man suggested: reconnecting the old tv and using the vcr tuner. And experienced 2+ days of no static whatsoever. But the static has returned. To be very clear the connection is wall-digital box-vcr (vcr on, vcr on vcr not tv, set to channel 4)-tv channel 4. And I am using coaxial cable all the way trough. I believe electricitym had intended that I use the composite output from the vcr and bypass the tv's coax/tuner completely. I will do that as a last resort but the tv is a bit older and only has coax and s-video/composite inputs.
I will next try to open the unit and inspect grounds and soder joints.
I won't be able to get to it until sunday, thanks to everyone for their input. DC
snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

if you know what the tuner looks like, and you are not an expert, don't open the tuner...just squeeze the cover of the tuner a few times and see if that fixes the problem for a few weeks,,, if it does then you know you need to get a tech to open the tuner and clean the ground contacts to the cover...
Mark