Intermitten Oil Burner Problem PLEASE HELP!

I'm a little puzzled what my problem could be. I have a Bock (Wayne Head) oil fired water heater. A month ago I began to have problems. The fire was pulsating. I changed out the pump (12 years old anyway), the safety controlsm, photo cell, transformer, electrodes and changed every filter. Every few days the controls with break the circuit and I have to press the red button to restart the heater. The burner never looses prime and always re-starts immediately. I even tightened all the fittings to fix an air leaks. The only parts I haven't changed is the motor and aquastat.

Does anyone have any clues? I'm reluctant to call anyone because it's a real crap shoot to find someone that can diagnose an intermitten problem like this. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
homeguy

You've been here before, asking the same questions. That primary relay is tripping out for a reason, and until you get someone with proper test equipment and the knowledge to use it, you're just pokin around in the dark

Reply to
RBM

Those parts have to total more than the cost of a service call. Get a pro that is familiar with your unit. Long term you'll come out ahead. While it seems intermittent to you, it may be a sold reading on test equipment.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

-snip-

Did you really do all of that before changing the nozzle? If you've got *the right* new nozzle in there-- then it is probably time to call the guy with the test equipment and see what you have.

Remember that it is shutting off for a reason. [probably safety] If the safety cutoff fails for some reason, then you run the risk of a major fire in your baement. That could ruin your day.

From here- I'd bet on a clogging or poorly adjusted nozzle. When you get enough extra oil in the firepit it puffs a bit of smoke and the electric eye shuts off the flame.

A tech could tell you that in minutes.

You've been shooting craps with parts so far. Try a relay if you really don't want to call a guy.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht