Intermintent Shower Drain

The shower in my master bath has a peculiar problem with drainage. About half the time, the drain will backup within a minute of turning the shower on, and the shower floor will fill up with about a half inch to an inch of water. The water drains pretty fast when the shower is finally turned off (~30 seconds). The other half of the time, the shower drain does not really backup at all, barely reaching the top of the trap. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for when this happens. I will take a shower in the morning and it backs up. 10 minutes later my girlfriend will take a shower and not have any problems.
Any ideas?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1149085989.254898.5020

Are you both using the same volume of water? Are you stepping on the drain hole while showering?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Could be a partially blocked vent. Bird nest? When bird in nest you get backup, no bird, no backup. Just a thought. if you have access to roof above bath look in with a flashlight and check for an obstruction. Be careful on roof.
Report back what you see.

It could be an air bubble trapped by the water flow. Try tapping your foot over the drain, or turning it off/on (the drain) a couple times to clear the bubble.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

We are both using the same volume of water. Thanks for the suggestions, I will test them out and get back with the answers.