Intermatic vs. Aube light timers - experiences?

Page 3 of 3
I like the Aubes for the same reasons. I still like the interface and the "auto random" feature on the Intermatics, though. After a few weeks, my Aube is still going strong, but of course, that doesn't mean much. The real test is for the long haul, and this thread will be closed by then.
I also installed the Intermatic EJ500 (had them send me that instead of a new SS7). It's a bigger unit, that doesn't fit so well in the junction box, but it works. Flush to the wall, internal battery like the Aube. Interface is not as nice as the SS7, comparable with the Aube IMO.
So I now have 4 legacy SS7s, 1 Aube 1034, and 1 EJ500. The race is on! Whichever timer dies last, wins!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

I've also got an Aube 1034 and an Intermatic EJ500. For now the EJ500 is in my parts box and he 1034 is installed, since it works with compact fluorescent bulbs and the EJ500 doesn't. Since I have my outside lights (3 of them) on from sunset until 3am daily, the power savings from CF bulbs really add up. With CF bulbs, the total power draw is 46w, whereas with regular incandescents it'd be 180w.
If Intermatic changed the EJ500 to work with CF bulbs and improved the solar calendar to work better here in Canada, I'd probably switch, but for now the Aube works well.
Here's my take on the two units:
AUBE 1034 Pros: -Works with compact fluorescents (as long as 40w minimum load is met) -Timer is based on latitude/longitude, so it more accurately tracks sunset/sunrise for on/off times, especially here in Canada.
Cons: -AAA battery needs to be changed about every 18 months -More complicated programming interface (IMHO) than the Intermatic -Doesn't automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time (has to be manually changed twice a year) -No randomization feature -Turns lights on _exactly_ at sunset, which results in the lights being turned on before it's really dark (where I live we get about 30-45 minutes of twilight before it's really dark).
Intermatic EJ500: Pros: -Easy programming interface -Automatic DST adjustment -Randomization feature turns lights on/off up to 20mins before/after programmed time. -No battery to change (unless there's a prolonged power failure)
Cons: -Doesn't work with compact fluorescent bulbs -Solar calendar only has 3 zones (South, Central, and North) which probably work well in the USA, but don't work well here in Canada. I need a "really North" setting, since the seasonal variation in sunrise/sunset is more pronounced the further North you go.