Intermatic T103 vs T104 timer for a pool pump

I currently have a 220V pool pump running off an Intermatic T103 timer. I'm in the process of replacing the pump, and every pool website I go to says I should be using the T104 timer. Intermatic's website lists only the T104 as a swimming pool timer product.

Both the 103 and the 104 are DPST, but the T103 timer has a 110v clock and the T104 is a 220v clock. Other than that I can't see a difference (except that the T104 goes up to 277V, which is not relevant to me).

Is there any reason I should spend the money to switch to the T104?

Reply to
HamNCheese

You'd use it if you didn't have a neutral handy

Reply to
RBM

No reason to switch in this case. Both timers are rated for 240 volt motors up to 5HP, with a maximum FLA (Full Load Amps) of 28 amps.

Your observations are correct, you're good to go with the T103 as long as the new motor FLA isn't more than 28 amps. Both motors should have a nameplate that states the FLA (sometimes it's called FLC(urrent) at the voltage to be used. By chance, if you use a 120 volt motor, the max. motor FLA for both timers is 24 amps.

Reply to
volts500

Well, it turns out to be a moot point anyway--after some confusion on the wiring I popped out the timer mechanism, looked at the model number on the back and discovered that I have a T104 timer inside a T103 case. Someone changed it at some point before I owned the house.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Reply to
HamNCheese