Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

There are certainly legal, listed breaker interlock systems that are legal in the US. Look in a Square D or Siemens catalog. I can't speak for canada but I bet these are CSA listed too.

Reply to
gfretwell

gfretwell

According to Solar Flaire :

Automatic transfer switches are permitted. Otherwise, we'd not have automatic cutover generators, as sold at HD.

This device conceptually just makes the meter base larger, and has provisions for security sealing it too. Otherwise, FPL wouldn't permit it. Obviously they do.

But I would imagine that the local power authority has to approve of the device before they'd allow you to install one.

[I believe that contractors have to contact the power company to inform them that the meter base has been diddled with so they can come out to reseal the meter.]

If you were to somehow get a hold of one up here, you really should call the power company before installation.

Yes. Which means it's approved up here unless it runs afoul of something specific in the CEC, or Hydro throws a fit.

[Ontario Hydro has two separate "special" meter trial programmes going on, similarly restricted in region. "Smart meters" and something else I forget...]

To tell you the truth, I'm _very_ much surprised I haven't seen something like this before. It's the obvious place. It's just not something a homeowner is usually able to install themselves ....

An even simpler way would be to have some sort of object that "mimics" the back of the meter and has a plug for the generator. Power out, yank the meter, install the adapter, plugin the generator, and voila!

When power comes back, pull out the adapter and plug the meter back in.

Problem being that you'd have to get the power company back to reseal the meter after grid power is restored.

[I have some experience with our power company that indicates that they don't have too much trouble with things like this, especially during emergencies. But if everybody started doing it, they would change their minds pretty quick!]
Reply to
Chris Lewis

No thanks, I have enough around me.

Reply to
no spam

If you do can you send some my way? I have fire ants, sand gnats, deer flies, mosquitoes and several other biting bugs I'd like to get rid of.

Reply to
no spam

I don't know about Canada but in the US I'd think any company would fire an employee that started giving out code info. Too many lawyers running just looking for a chance to sue.

Reply to
no spam

According to no spam :

At least in the electrical isle, just about any advice that the employees give is potentially "code info". There's likely plenty of legal CYA going on, but it can't be _that_ cut-and-dried.

At least in the Canadian HDs I'm familiar with, the contractor desk, electrical and plumbing areas has at least one licensed tradesmen on staff most of the time, and I've not found them to give out any really stupid info, nor avoid commenting on something to do with code.

The original comment:

I find really hard to take at face value. HD isn't going to risk large fines (and potentially jail time) for selling unapproved electrical equipment.

[Selling unapproved electrical gear is against the law in Canada. Actions are rare, but they will do it.]

Given that his other comment about "automatic transfer switches" being illegal here, and obviously they aren't, I'm not sure he'd recognize an unapproved device if it bit him.

I've never looked for a transfer switch at HD. Their catalog carries one, the generac one, I think. But, I don't have a clue about the "hide" bit.

If they're "hiding them", it's probably because they _prefer_ to sell these devices to people who know enough (eg: electricians) to ask for one. And/or simply not enough people would want one to use up shelf space for them.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I was talking about the LEGAL advice, not the electrical advice!

You obviously did not bother to read what I wrote or what I was responding to.

You should not put yourslf down that way. We honestly have no way about knowing how ignorant you really are, but your above post certainly sets a terrible example.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

| This device conceptually just makes the meter base larger, and has | provisions for security sealing it too. Otherwise, FPL wouldn't | permit it. Obviously they do. | | But I would imagine that the local power authority has to approve | of the device before they'd allow you to install one. | | [I believe that contractors have to contact the power | company to inform them that the meter base has been diddled | with so they can come out to reseal the meter.] | | If you were to somehow get a hold of one up here, you really should | call the power company before installation. | | > Is UL listed the same as UL approved? | | Yes. Which means it's approved up here unless it runs afoul of | something specific in the CEC, or Hydro throws a fit. | | [Ontario Hydro has two separate "special" meter trial programmes going | on, similarly restricted in region. "Smart meters" and something | else I forget...] | | To tell you the truth, I'm _very_ much surprised I haven't seen | something like this before. It's the obvious place. It's | just not something a homeowner is usually able to install | themselves ....

One concern I have is the neutral/ground connection between the base and meter. To the extent that it exists at all it is not intended to handle much current; most split-phase meters are 4-wire devices. I assume (hope?) that installation of the adapter involves some sort of jumper which in turn might require an additional lug to be added to the original base.

| An even simpler way would be to have some sort of object that "mimics" | the back of the meter and has a plug for the generator. Power out, yank | the meter, install the adapter, plugin the generator, and voila! | | When power comes back, pull out the adapter and plug the meter back | in. | | Problem being that you'd have to get the power company back to | reseal the meter after grid power is restored.

In addition to the neutral/ground problem, what if you accidentally install the adapter upside down? Around here bases are typically symmetrical so I'm not sure you could make the adapter failsafe against back-feeding without modifying the base. But then you'd want to arrange that the adapter couldn't be inserted into an unmodified base which would make the base incompatible with a normal meter...

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Sorry!..Wronmg! wrong! wrong!

That device is not legal in Canada and would never be passed on an inspection!

Where is the neutral disconnected?

Solar Flaire

Many cannot read and/or love to twist the meaning of your words.

I think your statement was quite clear that the nonsense was the continuous raising of the "can I cheat the system" argument not the danger imposed by doing it.

Reply to
Solar Flaire

Maybe DD214 would do the same thing???

Reply to
Solar Flaire

There is that reading ability thing again! Where did you see me say they were selling illegal transfer switches?

The comment, once again to clarify was . HD has a shelf full of illegal (in Canada) transfer switches and they hide them (not sell them) to cover up their code ignorance. (the purchasing agent thinks he is still in the US)

Reply to
Solar Flaire

Not on your life. This device has no lockable, visual, manual switch between the generator and the grid. "Automatic" is just not allowed for human protection.

There is a need for a lockable switch to isolate the device for linesman protection. The automatic portion is to eliminate backfeeds and/or other system protection/ convenience requirements. Never for human protection.

Reply to
Solar Flaire

Canada is not on the NEC?

Reply to
gfretwell

No. Canada is on the CEC. Does the US use the Canadian dollar?

Reply to
Solar Flaire

"Solar Flaire" wrote on 22 May 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

We love Canadian dollars. Please send us all your spares.

Reply to
Steve

Only when we feel loony.

Reply to
Steve Austin

AFAIK, nothing works as well, while being as human safe as DDT.

Reply to
no spam

This is a mechanical interlock in the provided link. It is much different than somebody putting two padlocks on two switches and the saying the will throw away one key.

Reply to
sparky