Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

message

Protecting peoples lives is not nonsense!
I am amazed at how many truly ignorant people are advising that some variety of interlock is OK for a transfer switch. It is not only dangerous but illegal in both Canada and the US.
The emphasis is on Ignorant.

There are certainly legal, listed breaker interlock systems that are legal in the US. Look in a Square D or Siemens catalog. I can't speak for canada but I bet these are CSA listed too.
On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:00:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Electrical%20Distribution/Load%20Centers/Accessories,%20QO%20 (LK,%20PK,%20QO,%20QON)/1100HO0701.pdf
Sorry!..Wronmg! wrong! wrong!
That device is not legal in Canada and would never be passed on an inspection!
Where is the neutral disconnected?

http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Electrical%20Distribution/Load%20Centers/Accessories,%20QO%20 (LK,%20PK,%20QO,%20QON)/1100HO0701.pdf
On Tue, 22 May 2007 18:55:07 -0500, "Solar Flaire"

Canada is not on the NEC?
No. Canada is on the CEC. Does the US use the Canadian dollar?

group alt.home.repair:

We love Canadian dollars. Please send us all your spares.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

Solar Flaire wrote:

On Tue, 22 May 2007 22:26:45 -0500, "Solar Flaire"

No but we still get a lot of canadian quarters in our change. The point is, does the CEC deal differently with separately derived sources and things that are not SDS?
In the NEC, if you don't bond the neutral in the generator you don't switch the neutral. The SDS does have the grounded neutral in the separately derived source.
OK y'all got me now. What is SDS?
I don't necessarily agree with switching all conductors in all cases and I think it is for the reason you have stated. I am not positive on this one but I think there are no exceptions, bonded or not.
If the neutral is never bonded then a back feed can never happen...hmmmmm. But then if a conductor isn't bonded then it requires overcurrent protection, isolation and must be continuously ground detected too.... they win.

On Wed, 23 May 2007 19:02:19 -0500, Solar Flaire wrote:

Take your pick: http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=SDS
Cheers! Rich
Satellite Data System ?

On Wed, 23 May 2007 19:02:19 -0500, "Solar Flaire"

Separately Derived System. If that term is not familiar to you, code is not your strong point. That is another source of power that mimics a utility, in particular, one with the ground and neutral that are bonded. You can also connect a generator with ground and neutral that are not bonded. In that case the bonding jumper in your service with accomplish the same thing and you do not switch the neutral in your transfer equipment. In any case you want one and only one bonding jumper in the system at any time.
This has to do with parallel grounding paths and has nothing to do with backfeeding the grid. Your double pole double throw switching device does that. and it can legally be accomplished with 2 breakers that are mechanically interlocked. The code does not specify things that are legal or illegal. The only requirement is that each path is mutually exclusive.
So you just threw the term in to confuse the issue then?
US code is not my strong point. Most of the weird stuff will not pass in Canada where the standards are classically higher.

"Solar Flaire"aka Gymmy Bob//JP Bengi//Pizza Girl//Piezo Guru

    [..] I am glad you trust the slaes people at HD. I can read. --------------
...enjoy thumping that keyboard
        /smirk
On Thu, 24 May 2007 18:46:26 -0500, "Solar Flaire"

No it is the deciding factor when you are deciding about switching the neutral in transfer equipment. I am a US inspector but I do have collegues in Canada and I bet if I ask them they will confirm that CEC rules on SDS and neutral switching are basically the same.
Go for it. Then you can stop spewing the bullshit.

On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:36:42 -0500, "Solar Flaire"

I can cite the applicable NEC rules, can you cite the CEC rule? Probably not

What makes you think it _isn't_ disconnected inside the meter base?
Did you find schematics for the thing?
--
Chris Lewis,