Interior vs. exterior primer?

What's the difference between primers that are labled for "interior", "exterior", and "interior/exterior" use? What would be the problem with using an exterior primer indoors or vice versa? Is the interior/exterior variety any less weather-resistent than strict exterior grade?

Reply to
Nil

most good primer is rated for both not one or the other. such as bullseye.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

On 14 Oct 2004, "xrongor" wrote in news:ckmhtu$67ee$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.infoave.net:

OK, thanks.

So, are you saying that primar that's rated specifically for interior or exterior is no good? All the stores are loaded with both the specific and dual purpose types.

What would be the problem with using an exterior primer indoors or vice versa?

Reply to
Nil

why ask why? i mean you expect answers besides the obvious ones? you doing a research paper or painting your house?

there's a 1-800 number on the paint cans. most manufacturers have web sites. if you feel the need, im sure someone at the paint company would explain in excruciating detail exactly how the primer works for each situation and which is best.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

On 17 Oct 2004, "xrongor" wrote in news:ckudob$a4d5$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.infoave.net:

I guess I', obtuse, but it's not at all obvious to me. There's nothing on the can or anywere else in print that I can find that says what the difference is, beyond the label. I asked a guy at the paint store and he said something about how an exterior primer was "more flexible" but couldn't elaborate beyond that.

I'm painting the my house, of course, - the interior for now - and I have quite a bit of exterior primer that will go bad before I have a chance to use it up. I'd like to use it inside rather than buying more interior primer unless theres a reason not to. I'd hate for my for my new paint to fall off, or my walls to melt into puddles, or to open a portal to the 12th dimension of hell.

Well, I do feel the need. So, since you don't know or prefer not to share your special knowledge, I guess that's an alternative.

Reply to
Nil

there is more temperature variation outside than inside. hence more expansion/contraction. exterior primer/paint needs to be able to handle this.

you are fine to use exterior inside. its the other way you might have problems. i think it only opens the 11th dimension though

randy

Reply to
xrongor

On 18 Oct 2004, "xrongor" wrote in news:ckvm5b$al1m$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.infoave.net:

Thank you.

Reply to
Nil

replying to xrongor, marc hansen wrote: if you can't answer the question buzz off

Reply to
marc hansen

replying to marc hansen, Bob G wrote: So 15 years later you came up with a snappy retort. I'm impressed. Good timing as he is probably ready to repaint now.

Reply to
Bob G

How did this thread come to me???

Reply to