Interior paints

Page 1 of 2
Not to start a war on which interior paint is better, but which brand do you like best? Looking @ wall paints & trim paints. Would like something washable, maybe a pearl like paint (semi-gloss?).
Thanks

I like the paints with built in primer. I don't know what that means, but seems to cover better. I'm doing a one coat job currently.
Greg
Joe wrote:

Thanks for sharing your inexperience with paints.

We built our own place starting about 4 years ago and it has been a part-time project of love until this spring. We did most of the upstairs interior, the garage and basement ceiling paint with Sherwin Williams products which were fine. Last spring we finished the basement and decided to try Home Depot Behr products. We were very pleased with the application and cover of Behr and would not go back to the previous product.
This is amplified by the fact that we used Sherwin Williams deck stain on our deck less than 2 years ago and it is flaking off.
Happy with Behr.
RonB
On 6/5/2012 5:38 PM, Gomba wrote:

My opinions and might now account for much, but they are based on what I worked with...
First off, usually, Eggshell is for walls. Flat is for ceilings and semi-gloss if for trim or doors. If you put semi-gloss on your walls they'll look like plastic.
I prefer Benjamin Moore Natura for walls that I want to dry really quick and no smell. We like how long Benny Moore natura paint stays tinted in the can in case we have repairs, and it's really easy to clean up. However Natura dries quick, usually within 15 seconds so you need to be accurate with your rollers in that time.
For rich or cozy colours I Like Benijimin Moore Regal and CIL/Dulux/Glidden (all the same company). I really like CIL/Dulux/Glidden for velvety off white ceiling and they have a really great trim paint called Smart3 that the dogs can't even chip. I find CIL/Dulux/Glidden not to cover walls well, and take far too long to cure and the colour selection is poor but for trims and ceilings I like them and they are a great price especially for stucco ceilings but they make thick paints and can be tough to work with.
I'm very disappointing with this new brand called C2. I helped a friend paint bedrooms with C2 and they were complaining 3 months later about the scuff marks, and how dust will "stain" the paint. We checked the can and it did say eggshell but it certainly acted like a matte paint. However C2 have some really vivid colour selection.
I found Behr difficult to work with, even more than CIL/Dulux/Glidden, but they were darker colours and maybe that's the reason why. Just seems that rollers stroke always showed through with that brand. Again this was at somebody elese's house with me helping out. He used similar microfibre roolers that I normally use.
and that's my two measly cents...

The "premium " line from just about any manufacturer will be a good paint. The low end from any manufacturer will range anywhere from borderline to crap.
Basically can't go wrong with Sherwin Williams or Benjamine Moore midline to premium products.
If you are in Canada Beauty-Tone from Home Hardware is an excellent paint at a very good price too. (They own their own paint factory - it is not "farmed out")

I'm going to give a thumbs up to Beauti-tone's primer. I found it was sticking better to drywall mud and taping better than Kilz whihc is waht we normally use as a primer.

I'm no painter but my dad was a builder many years ago and then he told me Benjamin Moore, Pittsburgh and I think one other I don't recall right now. I can tell you I've heard good things about Sherwinn Williams but being how I was raised I like Benjamin Moore and I'll tell you why. I used their exterior paint (top of the line) on my own house and it's about 11 years old now. Last year a neighbor around the block came around and asked about my new roof job and complimented me on my new paint job. I told him it wasn't new and he was amazed it was 10 yrs old then (Houston, Tx). I have also used BM inside a rental house last year but it's too new to comment upon. Of course this is not scientific and based on top of the line paint with my experience. I can't really tell you that anything else is better or worst but that I'm partial to BM because of what I was told when I was young and my own house. I read consumer reports about a year ago or so and they seemed to have a good article on which paints were best rated. I'm sure eopinions or the like will have some good info on which paints are most liked by others too. I think most of the replies you got here so far, seem legit to me but keep in mind I'm not a painter.
On 6/5/2012 5:38 PM, Gomba wrote:

I am limited in favorite brands because I settled long ago on Benjamin Moore, with more recent experience using Sherwin Williams for exterior. Since moving away from solvents, formulations have changed a lot from what they were in the old days and that has made paints generally less durable and less stain resistant. For interiors, I use semi-gloss alkyd for all doors and trim and for walls in kitchen and bath. I would not use latex for cabinets, doors or trim because it is very difficult to sand and refinish. Latex semi also stains more easily from inks, lipstick, etc. I don't care for semi on walls in other rooms unless it is a room that will get grubby fingerprints and toys bashing around. Prep is vitally important, and the better the prep, the better the paint job will look and last. But quality brushes and rollers and care for them properly; with proper care, they last forever. I would avoid gloss enamels because they are more difficult to apply and show flaws more easily. Follow label instructions!
Norminn wrote:

+1
You can come paint in my house anytime!
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 6/6/2012 3:04 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Where? What's it pay? :o)

What surprises me is that the "best" paint seems to change fairly frequently based upon what I see from Consumer Reports testing. I used to use Sears interior paints exclusively, then tried some others including Sherwin Williams and then started paying attention to CU's recommendations. Their top ratings will sometimes change even with color or gloss characteristics, but they do seem to be reliable.
You didn't ask, but I've been so pleased with Sherwin Williams "Duration" for exterior paint that I have to add it as a favorite. I particularly like the way the color blends with the existing color during a touch-up.
Tomsic

Walk into rooms in various houses or businesses and tell me what brand of paint was used to paint that room. Was it Walmart paint or an expensive name brand paint?
I can't tell the difference *after* it is painted.

There are many ways to tell cheap paint from the good stuff. How well does it wash? Does water wet the surface or sit on top. How easily does it scuff? There is a big difference between "pure" latex paint and paint that has fillers (clay). Then there are differences you can't see once it dries. Well, you can if there are paint splatters all over the place. ;-)
On Jun 9, 12:20am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

That's what struck me about the Benjamin Moore Regal I recently used. I haven't painted a ceiling in decades. So, maybe most paints have improved a lot. But this is the first paint I used where I didn't have a single spatter from the roller. I did the ceilings in 3 rooms, wearing glasses, and I did not have a single spot on my glasses. It's ability to cover and leave a perfect finish was also superior to any paint I've used.
On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 05:58:09 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

My wife and I recently redid my mil's house for resale. We used Benjamin Moore Regal all the way. While thick applying, the results were terrific. We put the house on the market and 24 hours later we accepted a bid for 5% over our asking price.
I use big box paints at my home but from now on for anything serious I'm going to use BM.
I'm glad that worked out, so well. As you were saying, you applied thick BM all over the inside of the house. How did you dry your BM? Did you have to use big fans, to dry your BM faster? What color BM did you use? Was it just the usual color like everyone else's? I'm glad the buyer liked having BM all over the walls. Did the buyer mention your beautiful colored BM, that was on so thick? Did you use all the BM, maybe going over some of the earlier BM, until the can of BM was empty? Or, did you put the lid on and leave the thick, unused BM for the next people to enjoy?
I'm going to remember, only BM when I paint my place. Thanks for the field report.
My wife and I recently redid my mil's house for resale. We used Benjamin Moore Regal all the way. While thick applying, the results were terrific. We put the house on the market and 24 hours later we accepted a bid for 5% over our asking price.
I use big box paints at my home but from now on for anything serious I'm going to use BM.
On 6/9/2012 9:23 AM, snipped-for-privacy@fdcx.net wrote:

If you sell a house within 24 hrs of listing, you had it severely under-priced. You prolly cheated yourself out of $20,000 or more.

It's obviously a statistical distribution situation. With houses listed at a fair price there is an average time it takes to sell and a distribution. A few of those will sell very fast, a few will take a long time. Just because someone happens to have one that sold in a day doesn't necessarily mean it's priced too low. It could be just the right buyer came buy the first day.
In many cases it's better to have the house fairly priced from the start, rather than start out high, follow the market down and never sell it. A local spec builder has been doing that for years. He prices his new houses too high, then after a year he lowers it 10%. He's been doing that for 4 or 5 years now. Problem is, he's always behind the market. Had he priced it 20% lower in the beginning, the house would have sold and he would have gotten more money than he's asking for it right now.
On 6/9/2012 8:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

If there was a paint museum, Regal would have a place. Long before the washing or "how many coats", there is a huge difference in how the paint goes on. When I used Sherwin Williams exterior paint for window trim, it was just amazing...brushing, leveling...made me feel like an artiste :o)