Interior paint: Satin vs Semi-Gloss

I'm preparing to paint the interior of my house and am seeing "satin" finish interior wall paint, which is new to me. Is this the same as semi-gloss or somewhere in between flat and semi? What would be the best applications for this type of paint?
- Magnusfarce
It really depends on your living conditions. Semi-gloss is excellent for durable situation like tenants, children etc. It's easy to clean up. The con is that is has a sheen which isn't very appealing compared to satin.
A typical 3-tone scheme would be:
Flat Super/Bright White on the ceiling Satin any color on the walls HIGH gloos Super/Bright white on the trim and doors.
I would always use Sherwin Williams Satin for my home and only use semi-gloss in the bathroom or if I had young children. Semi-gloss is for frequent easy cleanup.
Good luck!
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF http://www.utahhousevalues.com
It is above flat in sheen use on smooth walls with no imperfections , and trim.
Thanks, everybody, for the replies. My interior drywall is finished with a textured, "splatter" finish that is pretty common, I think. Would satin normally be recommended for this finish, or just smooth surfaces as you suggested?
- Magnusfarce

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:36:11 GMT, "Magnusfarce"

My house has the textured "orange peel" bumpy stuff over plaster and the satin finish looks fine on it. There is no "shiny" effect and it holds up well to the occasional cleaning from grubby fingerprints. I've even used it on paneling with good results.
Lauri in WA
I like my email spamless
Mine wall texture is probably similar, it's called a heavy knock-down finish. We use semi-gloss throughout the house and like it because it is durable and cleans easily. The wall texture really reduces the sheen, but some people might still think it is too shiny. Satin should be just fine. Manufactures have all sorts of names for sheens between semi-gloss and flat; in addition to satin there is egg-shell, but be sure to look at the color cards or better a swab of real paint on a card. At Home-Depot, you can bring the paint back if you don't like it for any reason. Magnusfarce wrote:

Get some samples. I have found that their does not seem to be any real standard from manufacturer to manufacturer, even sometimes within the same manufacturer.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:30:24 GMT, "Magnusfarce"

Between flat and semi. Iused it throughout my home and like it.