interior paint on everything

Hello, How would one deal with this. The whold inside of the house, drywall, window frames, even the hardware on the windows is painted over with a thick coat of high gloss paint. Same color through out. Windows are painted shut What kind of paint is unkown. Under this thick coat of paint there are several other layers of other paint. Don't know how many layers of paint. House was built in 1963. I want to start painting room by room but don't know how to start. Can't imagine sanding all of this paint down. Seems would take forever and the paint dust would be huge. Rip out the drywall and start over? Thanks for any ideas for starting. Dan.
Could be lead under there... Use a TSP solution to degloss, and paint with your favorite color. Maybe replace the hardware? Tom
DannyB20 wrote:

Start with the bathrooms, maybe you won't have to repaint those. When did you first notice this thick coat of paint?
To remove paint from wood, use a heat gun. To remove paint from metal hardware, remove and soak in liquid paint remover. To paint over drywall, sand down enough (more like scuff) enough for new paint to stick. I have no good ideas on how to remove paint from plastic. I don't think it can be done without ruining the plastic. Probably have to repalce that.