interior door replacement -- nonstandard sizes

Page 1 of 2
I just had a number of interior doors replaced in an old house that I am having renovated. The door replacements were done to make all of the interior doors in the house match instead of having mismatched door styles throughout the house. The original doors were 77" to 78" high. I had the doors replaced with inexpensive hollow core Masonite veneer 6-panel door slabs.
The replacement door slabs were 80 inches high, so they had to be cut. But the cuts meant that either the top or bottom ended up as just an open hollow space between the front and back veneers. Somehow that doesn't seem right to me. What do contractors normally do in this situation? Do they really just leave the top or bottom open like that? Do they try to fill in the space with a replacement filler piece?
When I search in stores and on the Internet, I can't seem to find interior door slabs that come in any size less than 80' high. Am I missing something? Don't manufacturers sell hollow core doors that are 78" high so that when they are cut a little shorter there is still a solid end piece at the top and bottom?
Is my only other option to use solid core replacement interior doors? And, if so, do they sell solid core interior replacement doors that are 78 inches high?
There is at least 2 inches of solid wood at the top and bottom of the door which can be trimmed. Try pinching the door in the store or use a stud finder to determine the exact cutoff limits.
If it were much shorter than you would need a solid door but you should be able to trim 2" total, 3" will be close. Look for a spec sheet for the door, it may be there.
Cut as much as you can from the bottom then the rest from the top so it looks good.

pipedown wrote:

Dude you never cut the top of a door. NEVER! If you cut the solid piece out of the bottom you reuse it in the hollow area. 2-3 inches off the bottom of door is not that big a deal. Your largest panels are at the bottom. as you go up they get smaller, including the stiles.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

re: Dude you never cut the top of a door. NEVER!
Never? And in all caps? That's a pretty drastic statement.
Consider a 6 panel pine door that needs 5 - 6" cut off. True situation - basement bathroom remodel in a house with a really low basement ceiling.
If I cut everything off the bottom, it would have look really out of balance and the door knob would have been down around my knees. Instead I determined the proportional differences of the top and bottom rails and divided my cuts proportionally. Came out great.

I'll check again and post back here tonight or tomorrow, but I don't think that's correct. I saved the pieces that were cut off and I think the solid part at the top and bottom is much less than 2 inches.

I just went and checked the new 80-inch hollow core doors. There is a 1-inch solid core across the top and a 3/4-inch solid core across the bottom. That's it. I was surprised myself.
nnnnnnnnn wrote:

You use the section you cut out. Pull off the masonite veneer and the edge and you have a straight piece you can use in that "open hollow" Glue and finish nails to hold it in place

They sell really nice solid wood 6 panel pine doors you paint about 100.00 each.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Thanks. I was thinking that may be what they do. I saved the cutoff pieces in case that is the way to do it. I haven't tried separating the masonite from the wood filler strips, but hopefully thta won't be too hard to do.
Years ago interior doors came in two heights, 78" and 80". I see now that masonite.com only shows 80" as the smallest door that they make.
Someone stocking older models may have smaller sizes or another manufacturer may make smaller sizes.

nnnnnnnnn wrote:

Yes, you can piece in the filler strip, but it is a pain in the ass. You may need to cut from the top and bottom of the blank, to avoid trimming away the entire strip on one end. Your contractor is an idiot, or lazy. I wouldn't accept the work.
-- aem sends...
nnnnnnnnn wrote:

Keyword here is THEY, who is they? Contractors, Handyman, Illegal Alien hourly worker. Did you pay them yet? If you did you got screwed.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Well, supposedly they are genuine bona fide real-life contractors with experience in the field. They have all of the right tools and equipment and the impression I got is that they know what they are doing. I decided to start them out on a couple of basic things first to see how they work, etc. Now I am finding that I have doubts about their true skill level, but I thought I'd check here to see what is considered normal and what isn't.

What I prefer in that situation is to buy prehung doors, and sawzall the opening, fix the drywall, and then it takes a standard door. there is usually enough meat in the header to do that without compromising the structure, when not, you can build a new header inside the wall. It is a bit more work, but the results are worth it, and if a new door is needed in the future it will fit.

I did think about that option, but it's an old house with and older style trim throughout. If I used pre-hung doors, it would mean changing the trim on both sides for more than a dozen doors. So, I thought that just replacing the slabs would make the most sense.
When looking at the job, they measured each door and I just assumed that contractors could buy hollow core interior doors in various sizes, including 78-inch high doors. Then each door would only require minimal cutting to fit the opening.
To my surprise, it appears that no one sells new 78-inch hollow core 6-panel interior doors. It also appears that no one sells hollow core interior doors with pre-cut door hardware openings.
Ummm.... 78" high is a standard door height. Just one that they don't stock it in the stores. You have to order it. It's more expensive than an 80" door, but not by a whole lot. In my opinion, better than hacking more than the manufacturer's recommended amount from an 80" door. Most people are too stuipd or lazy to do it the right way and actually order a door that's the right size.
So, where can I order 78-inch 6-panel hollow core interior doors?
I have checked everywhere I can think of on the Internet and can't find anyplace that sells them.
Thanks.

try the custom desk at a big box, or at a real lumberyard. you can also look up doors in the yellow pages. when i was building my house, i found a small shop that just builds doors for custom houses, that was the same cost as buying all the doors at a big box.
replying to charlie, CHW3 wrote:

I appreciate everybody's responses, yet no one has answered the question, "where can I get a non standard sized door?" SOMEBODY makes them, because builders continue to install them. The door I am trying to replace is 23 5/8 inches wide, but yet is a standard height. It's a 6 panel hollow core interior closet door. It came with the house - do I need to go back to the builder and get a door from them?
CHW3 wrote:

No , you need to cut 3/16" off each side of a standard 24" door . I prefer a table saw for this , and don't forget to angle the latch side 5? .
--
Snag

replying to Terry Coombs , CHW3 wrote:

Thanks Snag one, appreciate it, but let me ask this - are builders cutting these doors down from 24 inches wide, to something less (in my case 23 5/8 inches)? My guess is no they are not. I am really not trying to be difficult - but its ridiculous that a builder can get a door that size but no one else can. Are they buying in bulk from a manufacturer and specifying a non standard size just to be difficult? Guess I'll go back to my builder and find out where he gets his doors in bulk. I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem selling one to me. Stupid to have to put a hundred dollars of effort into a 30 dollar door. If I have to do that, I may as well just give him the hundred bucks.