Interior Door Replacement...

Hi,

I have to replace an entire interior door and frame (it's broken). The door/frames they sell at Lowe's are all one style (the cut of the frame border) and it doesn't match what ALL the doors in my house are. My door frames are more plain, the ones they sell at Lowes have 2 groves in the frame. Am I out of luck? Is it impossible to find a matching door frame style? I live in a subdivision and my house was built in 1984 if that helps anyone. Is there somewhere I can look at a selection of door frame styles? Thanks in advance.

-Ryan

Reply to
Chop Top

I think you must be talking about the casing. The jamb in usually only the

4 1/2" wide boards with the hinges, strike, and door head. I think that you will buy the casing separately. This might be a lot easier to do at a real lumber yard.

DanG

Reply to
Chop Top

Here are some tips:

  1. Use a utility knife to cut between the molding on one side of the door frame and the wall.

  1. Use a wonderbar to carefully remove the molding without damaging the wall. To protect the wall use plywood under the wonderbar.

  2. Now that the molding is removed, you can see the nails which hold the door frame in place. Cut them with a saw-all or other tool.

  1. Door frame can now be removed and replaced. If only one side is damage you might be able to take it apart and just replace that side. Bring it to the lumbar yard and they might cut things perfectly for you.

Reply to
Art Begun

If you don't know the part of a door, then you're probably not ready to replace them. Go to building supply center (not a Lowes or HD) and explain the problem. Do it next to a door so you can point to the damaged parts. Then see what they say.

Reply to
Jim Sullivan