Interior Basement Wall Insulation Q.

Hi,

I'd like to insulate one of my (unfinished) basement walls. The problem is this: running parallel to the wall (near the ceiling) is a furnace duct, and the space between said wall and said duct is approx. 3 inches (a bit less in spots). I was thinking of insulating with 1.5'' of foam insulation with

1/2'' gypsum board covering, but anyone have a thought as to whether or not this would be hazardous? The duct is approx. 12" high, so the other option would be to just skip the upper 12" of wall and insulate below..

Many thanks, Jim

Reply to
<BallyHigh>

What is the duct made of. If PVC, insulate all you want.

Reply to
Art

No danger. The duct don&#39;t get hot enough to meld the foam. or to cause any other problems.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

BTDT

Used construction adhesive to glue foamboard to block; then glue drywall to foam.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Another option -- I just painted my furnace ducts a medium brown and left them exposed. So of like some modern buildings. This way I could keep my basement ceiling as high as possible. IMHO most framed in duct work looks like what it is and just takes up more space. In my case the basement is used so heat leakage from ducts is a non issue.

Good luck

Reply to
Jeff