Interesting tidbit

Interesting tidbit:

I needed a new socket for my electric range. At Lowe's and HD, they were all made in China. (Didn't think to go the supply store I just found that sells retail with no problem.)

Put the big metal clip around the black plastic socket and tested it by inserting the burner coil. Took out the coil and the metal had bent. Barely tight enough anymore to hold the plastic socket.

So I tried the original clip, which is 26 years old and dirty. Yet, when I pushed the plastic socket passed the edge of the holes in the clip, the clip went "boing", and clipped firmly. Better after 26 years than the foreign one is new.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:05:26 GMT "Guernsy" posted:

Is it possible that what they are making is not up to spec? Maybe they sell better to repairmen, but the people who buy at HD and Lowe's** are homeowners, and they either don't test the clip before they install it, like I did (the most likely scenario); or they don't notice that the metal bends; or they do as I did and use the original clip and don't complain to anyone; or they use the new one and don't realize it should be springier. So maybe Lowe's never hears that the metal clip is low quality.

Why should we assume they always ship what is ordered? Do Americans always ship what is ordered? There were stories a while back of Asian bolts and nuts being used in place of American ones, and the Asian ones (at least the ones in these cases) breaking.

**To be fair, although they were both made in China, the one I used was sold at Lowe's. They were both in bubble packs and I only opened one.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 09 Sep 2005 01:44:26 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski" posted:

That could be the reason. If so, why weren't they asked to make the metal springy, considering that it is a clip.

Is there some place I could have bought a receptacle with a better quality clip. The supply store I mentioned? Ordering straight from Kenmore? Are these the same clips that are used on new stoves now?

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

But 26 years ago, most everything on appliances fit better and was higher quality. The people in China make what they are asked and specified to make.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

And most people still blame the Chinese instead of the American companies which put out the specs.

Reply to
Guernsy

It would cost a couple of pennies more. No matter what the use, aftermarket replacement parts for appliances, automobiles, etc are oftne a little cheaper made than the factory equipment. That is so Lowes and HD can sell them cheaper than your local appliance store.

Can't say specifically. Sometimes the dealers of that brand sell exact replacement parts that are identical to the factory. Other times the replacements for older units are a cheaper grade.

My original comments were because this is a common practice for years, no matter the source of the parts. China is capable of making top quality parts as well as the junk ordered by quick buck sellers looking for cheap sources. To say what this case is on either method is pure speculation no knowing who ordered and specified the parts and what and why certain materials.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

i remember when i was younger, we would laugh at products that said 'Made in Japan'. it was almost always low quality stuff.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

And most people still blame the Chinese instead of the American companies which put out the specs.

Reply to
stevie