Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stations in residential property

Page 10 of 10
On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 02:36:32 +0000 (UTC), worker bee

Back in the 60's my parents house was in a suberb of a large city, and there were several gas stations located 3 and more blocks away. All the homes were located downhill from these gas stations. Everyone in the neighborhood began smelling gasoline in their basements and the fire dept was called. It was determined there was a leaking underground gas tank at one of the stations. My parents only had a floor drain in the basement, connected to the city sewers. Other houses in the neighborhood has sump pumps. ALL of them were getting gasoline vapors in the houses. Seems the homes near the bottom of the hill were getting it the worst.
The gas station was shut down and had to dig up the tank immediately, the fire dept was overloaded with trying to put fans in the homes with the worst vapors and telling the others to leave basement windows opened (fortunately it occurred during the warm weather season). This could have been a real disaster.
I'll go on to mention that about 10 to 15 years later, as regulations got tougher, that gas station was town down and the entire lot, plus some neighboring land was dug up to a depth of 30 or 40 feet, to remove all the contaminated soil. Then it was refilled with clean soil. I was told that the contaminated soil was hauled to a place where they burn this soil in some sort of furnace before they use it as fill somewhere else.

Years ago, I had house that backed up to a drainage easment (i.e., an open ditch). As it turned out, I owned both side of the easment (ditch). The easment was lined with rip-rap. When I got the house, the neighbor behind me routinely weed wacked the ditch. I decided that I wanted to plant trees to shade out the easment. So, I bought a buch of trees and planted them on both sides of the ditch. Of course this meant the guy had to stop weed wacking the ditch. Meanwhile, I also fenced in my backyard, The fenced in area did not include the ditch. I got all the proper permits for the fence. As it turns out, the house next to me on one side was very close to my property line and in fact most of their "backyard" was actually my backyard becasue of the way their house was located on the property (it was corner lot and the house was angled to face the intersection and pushed way back on the lot). So, once I built the fence, they essentially had no backyard. Shorthly after building the fence, I got a letter from the city telling me I had to clean up the ditch, or they would do it for me and charge me $300. I immeadiately called down and asked for an explanation. They said they had a complaint. I asked under what ordinance they were threatening me. They sent me a book with the infomration. It was clear I was not in violation (wooded areas, flood plains and drainage easements were specifically exempt from the particular ordinace cited). I expalined this to the burecrat in charge. They said it didn't matter and that if I didn't want to have them clean it up, I would need to present my case to the city council. I said no problem, I'd be happy to. The fact was, this same drainage easment (ditch) went throughout the sub-division and only one hudred yards or so wasn't wooded. I was just updating my portion to be a wooded area. I assumed that I would be notified when I needed to appears and that I would have time to prepare my case. Ha! I was called the next day and said I need to come to the council meeting that night. I complained that I need time to prepare my slides (I planned to present the ordinates on a slide, with the exemptions and pictures of the easement in other parts of the sub-division.). Finally a somewhat friendlier bureacrat said she would remove my name from the council schedule and round file the complaint. As long as they didn't get another call, I was OK. Apparently they never did get another call becasue I never had to do anything. If you go by that house today, It has a nice wooded area in the rear with a variety of interesting trees that looks a heck of a lot better than a rock lined ditch.
Ed

My guess is that it could be anyone that lives near you doing this. Just be glad the person or persons responsible ain't doing anything really awful. Maybe they're just interested in the safety of your neighborhood. This seems reasonable and responsible to me. Forget about it.
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:48:35 -0800, dsi1 wrote:

All the private residence complaints seem reasonable given those assumptions, except, perhaps, the hazmat leak complaint. 1) Fire Marshall (regulates containers larger than 60 gallons) 2) Zoning (prohibits structures closer than 6 feet to the property line) 3) Building (regulates structures greater than 120 square feet) 4) Hazmat (prohibits leakage but otherwise does not regulate gasoline) 5) CARB (regulates organic tanks larger than 260 gallons)
I've sufficiently thought it over and won't do anything more about it.
Here is the process if anyone wishes to follow in my footsteps: 1. Starting with a full 55-gallon drum & full vehicles 2. I fuel the two cars & other engines for about one to two months 3. At some point, the fuel tank is low so I need a gas station trip 4. I fill both the vehicle tank & I replenish the 5-gallon containers 5. I siphon the fuel from the 5-gallon container into the 55-gallon drum 6. And I go back to step 2 above.
Here are the costs comparisons: a) The cost for the equipment was about $500 b) The savings per drum vary greatly (let's average to $.10/gallon) c) That's only a savings of $5 per drum (ie cost can't be the key reason) d) However, the equipment does pay for itself over about 17 years
$5/2months = $30/year = $500/17 years
These cost comparisons are only rough estimates.
Sometimes I fill up more frequently & other times I can take advantage of price fluctuations, both of which lower the payback period. However, often, I am the victim of price fluctuations (like when I needed to refuel when gas was $4.35/gallon). What I often do in those cases is fill up 'just' the vehicle, until prices drop back to reasonable levels.
All in all, I can't justify this on savings alone.
The biggest benefit is my wife loves me for it.
In fact, she hasn't been to a gas station in years, and even I have started to enjoy the inherent convenience of filling up at home.
On 12/7/2011 4:41 AM, worker bee wrote:

Heck, I'd like it too if you filled up my tank for me. As it goes, I have to fill up the tank for my wife. She ain't gonna do it. I get in the car and that gas pump light is lit. I hate that! Hopefully, I'll drop dead soon and then she'll have to gas the damn car up herself. Then we'll see who gets the last laff. Well, technically I guess she will because I'll be dead but you know what I mean...
On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 11:05:06 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

I hear that's rough on the fuel pump.
My wife, like yours, hates going to the pump so badly, half the time she does full serve (if she can find it) or she goes to the well lit gas station on the busy corner right next to the highway.
Since I only fill up once every couple of months, I can afford to go to gasbuddy.com to pick which station is cheapest every two months.
I figure I easily save 10 cents a gallon over what she would pay, and sometimes more. However, savings alone aren't enough reason to do this as the equipment would take more than a decade to pay for itself at that rate, assuming it doesn't depreciate appreciably
In the end, if you're gonna gas up at home, you just have be satisfied in giving the wife the convenience of a perpetually full gas tank.

There's probably a little less than a couple of gallons left in the tank when it comes on but the light really bugs me. I commend how desire to please your wife.

worker bee wrote:

For her safety and your peace of mind, not to mention all the hustle and bustle, encourage your wife to obtain a concealed handgun license, unless you live in Illinois where you can't, or New Jersey, Hawaii, and a couple of other places where it's damn near impossible.
You'll save money in the long run.
On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 07:25:48 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I wonder how attended gas stations figures into the crime stats. Never thought of that before. Don't mind pumping my own gas - it's faster - but having the pump jockey squeegee the windows was always appreciated. Miss that free dishware too.

Gee, I was going to suggest she just keep a Molotov cocktail at hand. Seems more efficient with all that gas in the jugs at home. Now, on second thought...
--Vic
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I don't have any evidence that she's irrational. Maybe she's phobic. Maybe she just doesn't like the smell of gasoline on her clothes. Maybe she is afraid of being asked to sign a petition.
Whatever. Having a gun nearby may very well give her the confidence she needs to function in a complex society.
I carry a gun everywhere I go. I now go into biker bars and order a glass of milk, something I would never have done before.
HeyBub wrote:

If having a gun encourages you to do things you wouldn't consider without a gun, you're asking for trouble. I see two possibilities. 1) you get shot with your own gun. 2) you end up in jail for shooting someone. It's your word against 20 bikers.
I went thru a "carrying" phase until I decided that it was a foolish.
IFF you MUST venture into unsafe areas, like your delivery job requires it, you might convince yourself it's worth the risk. IF you CHOOSE to go there, you're being foolish.
mike wrote:

I've used my weapon to ward of would-be robbers in the Home Depot parking lot! Twice!

Disaster doesn't always happen in unsafe areas. Why just today, two people were shot at the University of Virgina campus, arguably the safest place on the planet. By that I mean the campus has a RULE against firearms!
No, wait...
Never mind.

-snip-
Go back to #1. That appears to be what happened. It saved the kid from #2. So having a gun really worked out for him, eh? [and a cop, Army vet & father of 5 besides]
When I heard this on the news last night your post was the first thing I thought of. I hope this doesn't turn out that the kid was armed by a concerned parent who thought it was a god idea for their child to carry a gun on the dangerous campus.
I don't want any guns taken away-- especially the ones I own-- but there are some folks who should *not* have guns. [And with all your bravado you might be on my short list of those who should be disarmed.]
Jim

Phobias are by definition irrational.
You don't pour the gasoline on your clothes. You pump it into the car. I've been putting gas in vehicles for 30+ years and not once have I gotten a drop of gas on my clothes.
9 times out of 10 I can't even smell it on my hands, but gas stations do offer gloves and wipes at the pump these days. Of course you could always take responsibility for yourself and bring your own gloves if it's that big a deal to you.

It might, but probably won't.

Hey, that's fine with me.
On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:41:58 +0000 (UTC), worker bee

My wife has been to a gas station exactly once in our 45 years together. It was the highest priced station, but they pumped it for her. Same convenience, no cans and drums.