Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stations in residential property

The thing about induction charging is that you get a lot of loss as the distance increases... it's greater than inverse-square law loss.

Not so much of a problem for a system you keep in the garage where you can position the thing so it's a quarter-inch away from the coil in the trunk when you drive into it. Not very practical for use on the highway where you have trouble maintaining a fairly close contact.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2= =A0(H L Mencken)

. lonestar. org

The old associate the electric car with the flying car ploy. Nice! =E2=9B=BD=F0=9F=91=8E=E2=9A=A1=F0=9F=91=8D

Reply to
dsi1

Sure, it might be forced on us but the electric has some advantages so lets all try to grin and be happy! =F0=9F=98=9D

Reply to
dsi1

That's right! It was the stinkin' Roman's fault! They probably even top posted that "King of the Jews" stuff. Where were that netcops when we needed them?

Reply to
dsi1

Did you see David Bowie's portrayal of him in the movie "The Prestige"?

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

I know what you mean. What my wife and I used to do for hours now takes us four hours.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Wadya mean "stinkin' Romans"??... Romans didn't stink... they invented plumbing!

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

I did see that movie but I don't remember much about it. I'll have to check it out again. Thanks.

Reply to
dsi1

Good point! Let's just blame the Germans and be done with it. Don't even get me started with the Chinese and their side posting!

Reply to
dsi1

Indoor plumbing, outdoor public toilets (which there was quite a flap about on taxation), and homes with very very very large baths that were quite the thing. Not only from a hygiene point of view, but also from a social point. Quite the change many centuries before the Middle Ages when people bathed MONTHLY.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

In case you hadn't noticed, the subject was transportation.

Reply to
krw

A quarter inch isn't nearly close enough. Any air gap will be inefficient. Why not just plug the thing in?

Reply to
krw

Nonsense. If there were advantages, no one would have to force anything on us.

Reply to
krw

You might want to rethink your logic. A lot of folks don't care whether or not there are any advantages. The only advantage they can see is the advantage of not having to change.

Reply to
dsi1

That's how a top down command and control system works, or really does not work.

A minority so vanishingly small as to not be a factor.

Reply to
Brent

Quite a change when the wife rolls over, exhausted, and goes to sleep.

Reply to
HeyBub

All the private residence complaints seem reasonable given those assumptions, except, perhaps, the hazmat leak complaint.

1) Fire Marshall (regulates containers larger than 60 gallons) 2) Zoning (prohibits structures closer than 6 feet to the property line) 3) Building (regulates structures greater than 120 square feet) 4) Hazmat (prohibits leakage but otherwise does not regulate gasoline) 5) CARB (regulates organic tanks larger than 260 gallons)

I've sufficiently thought it over and won't do anything more about it.

Here is the process if anyone wishes to follow in my footsteps:

  1. Starting with a full 55-gallon drum & full vehicles
  2. I fuel the two cars & other engines for about one to two months
  3. At some point, the fuel tank is low so I need a gas station trip
  4. I fill both the vehicle tank & I replenish the 5-gallon containers
  5. I siphon the fuel from the 5-gallon container into the 55-gallon drum
  6. And I go back to step 2 above.

Here are the costs comparisons: a) The cost for the equipment was about $500 b) The savings per drum vary greatly (let's average to $.10/gallon) c) That's only a savings of $5 per drum (ie cost can't be the key reason) d) However, the equipment does pay for itself over about 17 years

$5/2months = $30/year = $500/17 years

These cost comparisons are only rough estimates.

Sometimes I fill up more frequently & other times I can take advantage of price fluctuations, both of which lower the payback period. However, often, I am the victim of price fluctuations (like when I needed to refuel when gas was $4.35/gallon). What I often do in those cases is fill up 'just' the vehicle, until prices drop back to reasonable levels.

All in all, I can't justify this on savings alone.

The biggest benefit is my wife loves me for it.

In fact, she hasn't been to a gas station in years, and even I have started to enjoy the inherent convenience of filling up at home.

Reply to
worker bee

I don't get your point. How can a lot of folks be "vanishingly small?" My guess is most people in the automotive industry are scared to death of the electric car and the changes it will bring. No transmission, no radiator, an engine that's more like the one in your washing machine, no exhaust, no cams, no heads, no speed/power tuning, etc. We'll still need tires though. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Heck, I'd like it too if you filled up my tank for me. As it goes, I have to fill up the tank for my wife. She ain't gonna do it. I get in the car and that gas pump light is lit. I hate that! Hopefully, I'll drop dead soon and then she'll have to gas the damn car up herself. Then we'll see who gets the last laff. Well, technically I guess she will because I'll be dead but you know what I mean...

Reply to
dsi1

Won't happen real soon The operating and infrastructure costs of an "electric" car are so great that they can only be sold with major government subsidies Not to mention the fact that most electricity is not produced in a "carbon efficient" manner. Can you say COAL BURNING GENERATOR ?

Reply to
Attila.Iskander