Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stations in residential property

Page 4 of 10
On Dec 5, 9:11Β pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

The old associate the electric car with the flying car ploy. Nice! β›½πŸ‘Žβš‘πŸ‘
Add pictures here
βœ–
I think the electric car is being forced on us, by politicians who have little connection with reality. And want us to have the least effective consumer goods that can be forced on us. Detergents without phosphate, and the list goes on from there.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Sure, it might be forced on us but the electric has some advantages so lets all try to grin and be happy! 😝

Add pictures here
βœ–

Nonsense. If there were advantages, no one would have to force anything on us.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You might want to rethink your logic. A lot of folks don't care whether or not there are any advantages. The only advantage they can see is the advantage of not having to change.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's how a top down command and control system works, or really does not work.

A minority so vanishingly small as to not be a factor.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/6/2011 7:05 PM, Brent wrote:

I don't get your point. How can a lot of folks be "vanishingly small?" My guess is most people in the automotive industry are scared to death of the electric car and the changes it will bring. No transmission, no radiator, an engine that's more like the one in your washing machine, no exhaust, no cams, no heads, no speed/power tuning, etc. We'll still need tires though. :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

<Yawn> Won't happen real soon The operating and infrastructure costs of an "electric" car are so great that they can only be sold with major government subsidies Not to mention the fact that most electricity is not produced in a "carbon efficient" manner. Can you say COAL BURNING GENERATOR ?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/7/2011 12:25 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

So you're sleepy. Go take a nap now. :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yawning is not necessarily a sign of sleepiness It's also a sign of acute boredom with a subject that has been chewed over so many times that it's paste
Add pictures here
βœ–

(yawn) it'll never fly Wilbur. (yawn) those cars will never catch on, there's no roads! (yawn) hydraulic brakes are the stupidest idea ever! People want cable! (yawn) front wheel drive? Over my dead body! (yawn) digital cameras? Strictly for amateurs. (yawn) so what else is new? (-:
Add pictures here
βœ–

Who are these people holding on to vastly out of date technology for the sake of not changing? How many rotary phones do you see being used? 1970s or earlier cars as daily drivers? The people who just refuse to change to superior technology because they just don't want to change are few and far between.

The discussion was regarding customers not manufacturers. Manufacturers don't have a choice in free market conditions. They either adapt or die. The premise, that I agree with, is that superior product doesn't need to be forced on any one. If electrics were or become superior then new companies would quickly displace old companies that refused to change given free market conditions.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The USA is not a free market. This is why companies seek government to better their market position whatever it may be.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/8/2011 6:57 PM, Brent wrote:

Correct!
And the $64,000 question is:
If you invented a small, compact, 100% efficient battery that would power a car for 1000 miles, which oil company would be the highest bidder for the patent rights?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 19:14:12 -0500, Moe Gasser

No oil company could match the royalties you'd make by using the patent to produce the batteries. That's the big problem with most "conspiracy" theories. They fall apart when examined.
--Vic
Add pictures here
βœ–

There would never be a patent. Government issues patents. Who controls government?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/8/2011 7:37 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Bwahahahahhahahhahaaaaa!
ChungFongWang Battery company would copy your battery and you'd go broke trying to defend your patent.
Add pictures here
βœ–

What makes you think an oil company would buy it or the government would allow it to be patented?
The problem with a patent is that it is published for all to see. The US federal government can't invade every country where someone copies the patent and the local government doesn't shut it down.
This isn't free enterprise we are dealing with in the USA. It's a form of organized crime. The response would be along the lines of how organized crime deals with competition. There won't be any bidders. The inventor will either take a deal he can't refuse (if even offered) or have an "accident" at worst and considerable regulatory, civil, and criminal legal problems at best.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Boy, this is a tough, cynical crowd! You might be right but I haven't been downbeaten enough to totally accept your outlook on how things are in America.
Add pictures here
βœ–

we can't just sit it out and see what a free market will do when there isn't one. It's like watching a cat to see what a dog would do.
Add pictures here
βœ–