Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stations in residential property

Page 2 of 10

-snip-

Do you mean 'Will it work?" -- or 'will it work for Ed?'?
I just saw this this morning on ZDNet- http://www.zdnet.com/blog/green/6-high-profile-trials-of-wireless-car-charging-on-deck/19552?tag=search-results-rivers ;item0 http://preview.tinyurl.com/csep5q2
Commercial tests of a couple different systems will start in 2012.
So apparently it *will* work. It would work for me. Can't speak for Ed.
Jim

You got me... I deliberately left it ambiguous because I'm making an effort to not sound like a sarcastic asshole all the time. How am I doing? (-:
You should be careful, leaving yourself open with straight lines like that. I'm really tempted. Honest, I am!

Lead us not into temptation...

For temptation is easy enough to find, all on my own.

They can embed induction coils in the roadways so you can charge your cars while driving too. I'd like to see gasoline cars do that! No seriously... I'd like to be able to gas up my car while driving. That would be pretty damn exciting!

I think we get those 5 years after the too-cheap to meter nuclear power plant generated electricity is used to power heating elements in the roads to thaw any snow that falls on them.

Just buy a tanker truck and the parts used for air-to-air refueling and put it all together.
The military has that option on some air planes. I know, I saw it in a movie once. Iron Eagle, was it?

No, that was "Transformers V: Revenge of the Hand-Held Devices."

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 12:56:35 -0800 (PST), dsi1

Induction charging is only efficient if the gap between the charger and the charged device is very small or the frequency is very high.

What a total waste of resources.

No resources was wasted in the posting of this message...

My Oral-B electric toothbrush uses inductive charging. It works.
--Vic.
hOn Mon, 05 Dec 2011 16:09:42 -0600, Vic Smith

Try driving your toothbrush to work.
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 22:26:51 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

After you brush your teeth with your car.
--Vic
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 21:56:12 -0600, Vic Smith

In case you hadn't noticed, the subject was transportation.

The thing about induction charging is that you get a lot of loss as the distance increases... it's greater than inverse-square law loss.
Not so much of a problem for a system you keep in the garage where you can position the thing so it's a quarter-inch away from the coil in the trunk when you drive into it. Not very practical for use on the highway where you have trouble maintaining a fairly close contact. --scott

On 6 Dec 2011 11:41:27 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

A quarter inch isn't nearly close enough. Any air gap will be inefficient. Why not just plug the thing in?
That sure gives me a warm feeling. I doubt it will ever work. Think of the EMF needed. Wipe out every floppy disk for miles around, and every cassette tape, or reel to reel tape.

People thought N. Tesla was crazy too. :-)