Interesting roofing problem

My tar shingle roof is sloped north-south. Prevailing winds are easterly.

The paint under the north-east edge of the roof peels faster than anywhere else. This indicates that water is being pushed over the edge and trickles down the trim and the brick on the east wall. This is supported by the fact that the wood trim around the windows is also being rotted away

I was thinking of nailing an L-shaped piece of metal or plastic along the edge, to create a small barrier so that rain, on hitting the barrier, will be guided down the roof slope to the gutters, instead of rolling over the edge and running down the east wall.

Does this make sense ? Is this a viable solution ? What kind of L-shaped barrier should be used ?

Reply to
Atila Iskander

Without seeing the situation I can still say that your hypothesis is flawed. Assuming a typical gable roof, why would only one corner have that problem when the roof has four such corners? I would bet dollars to donuts that it's not the water running off that's the problem - that happens at all four corners, it's the water running off and not _drying_ on that corner that is the problem. Part of that is your prevailing winds, and part of that is the sun doing it's sun thing.

Take some pictures of the corner in question, and another corner or two as reference, and post them on one of the free hosting sites, then post the link(s) back here and we'll take a look.

RicodJour

You misunderstand Not "one corner" It's ONE SIDE. with one HALF-side being more damaged

The roof is an A with one side facing North, the other South. The ridge runs East-West. The whole East side trim has flaking paint. But far more on the North-East side, than the South-East side of the East wall.

Reply to
Atila Iskander

That's pretty much what I pictured. Post pictures.

Which is pretty much what I pictured and coincides with what I said. Post pictures. Thanks.

RicodJour

Since when are sides = corners ?

Reply to
Atila Iskander

They aren't.

Post pictures.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Do you know a way to make up a corner without using two sides?

Do you want help or not? It's clear you don't know what you're looking at, so do yourself the favor and let some people look at it that do. Post some pictures. Take pictures of the peeling paint you're concerned about and the rotten window trim and whatever local conditions might affect things (trees, etc.).

RicodJour

It might help if the OP posted some pictures.

What do you think?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's the whole point. You are looking at it, we're not. That's why pictures help so much.

When everyone is looking at the same thing, there's less chance the anyone's choice of words confusing the issue.

Your link is requesting that I log in or register.

The idea is to choose a site where the photos are easily accessible without needing to log in, such as Photobucket, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Forget it. When Ricky says something, he sticks by it.

Reply to
HeyBub

WELL POST SOME PICTURES SOMEWHERE WHERE PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO _REGISTER_ TO SEE THEM!

Reply to
RicodJour

Thanks. That is true. I find little need to backpedal since I don't make stuff up, dissemble and paint myself into corners. I may make an erroneous assumption but do not believe I've made one in this instance. If the OP can figure out a way that _other_ people can see his pictures, we'll know for sure.

RicodJour

Right.

Sides are the same things as corners.

From Ricky's lips to God's ear. You can take it to the bank. You can let your sister marry it. You can build a religion around it.

Reply to
HeyBub

We had a problem with wind blowing rain up an overhang which leaked in = the topmost point of the roof. Probably best to have a couple of = roofers come over and give you estimates. If they say different things, = call others until you hear the same thing more than once. Then pick the = best of those to do the work. One fall off a ladder would cost more = than several roofs.

Reply to
Guv Bob