Interconnected Smoke Alarms -- Options/Wiring -- Wireless?

I agree that is a whole different can of worms.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes, seeing some actual cases on that would be interesting. Whether the plaintiffs could win a case like that seems a little iffy. But, of course, people could sue on that basis and, if nothing else, it would require the defendants to endure the time and expense of defending against the lawsuit even if the defendants prevail in the end.

For reasons that would probably be too hard (and maybe not wise) to try to explain here, I would rather not ask beforehand. My plan is to either do nothing (a possibility) and just ignore the "recommendation", or just do what I think is best and see what happens after the fact. I think either approach will work.

Reply to
TomR

Can't you look up what's required online? For smoke detectors, the local requirements here are online. A fire inspection is required as part of getting a CO. I would think the govt agency helping pay the rent would have their standards, requirements online to. If you have to pass an inspection, you need to know what the rules are.

Reply to
trader_4

In news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, trader_4 typed:

I probably wasn't clear about that in what I wrote before. I do know EXACTLY what is and is not "required" and what the codes and regulations say etc. And, I know for sure that when the "inspector" cites something that is "required", they always cite the specific applicable code or regulation. And, I know that they are allowed to make a "recommendation" for something without citing any specific applicable code or regulation, and both they know and I know that it is not a requirement -- only a suggestion or recommendation. So, there was never any issue about whether I need to do anything in response to the "recommendation" -- which the "inspector" and I both know. I do not need to do anything at all with regard to the "recommendation", and that may be what I finally decide to do in this case -- nothing.

This isn't actually a situation where there is any rent subsidy etc. The property itself is used for a "program" and the "program" monitors/inspectors get to cite specific things that need to be corrected to meet program regulations (which are also in writing and publicly accessible). If it is in the regs, and they cite it, I have to correct it. If it is not in the regs, and it is not a requirement, they can suggest it as something they think is or would be a good idea -- but they know and I know that it is just a suggestion. Since there is governmental funding for the program, it is sometimes just a good idea to listen to and consider any suggestions or recommendations just to keep good relations -- but it is not a requirement. Their intentions are actually good, and I get along with them well. That is why I have considered doing something -- but not the whole hoopla of what they suggested -- to make what they would consider to be a safety upgrade even though no upgrade is required. And, that is why I may just do an interconnected 100-volt hardwired system, or maybe even just an all-battery-powered completely wireless interconnected alarm system. That last option would just involve swapping out the individual battery operated detectors that are there now with individual battery operated wireless detectors -- which would take less than an hour total to do and wouldn't involve any wiring or rewiring. They would think of anything like that as a plus and an improvement, and I am sure they would be pleased with that. And, it would look like I took their suggestion/recommendation seriously (which I am doing) and I did something along the lines of what they would like to see.

Reply to
TomR

P.S. I am actually glad that I posted this whole topic here and received so much in the way of thoughtful feedback and suggestions. In doing so, and in going over all of the details and possible options etc., it really did help me sort out what my options are. It helped me come to a conclusion about the most likely, most practical, easiest, and still satisfactory solution to choose. I think that I am probably just going to swap out the existing setup with one that uses all Lithium Ion battery operated wirelessly interconnected detector/alarms -- where if one goes of they all go off.

Reply to
TomR

Sounds logical to me. I thought what you were planning to do was an improvement, likely code compliant, etc all along.

Reply to
trader_4