Intercoms

Are there any decent intercoms for the house out there?

We are looking at a new (to us) house that is more of a ranch than a split level. The Wife says we may need an intercom so we can call out to each other instead of screaming.

I know I can Google listings of intercoms, but I'd like some realistic opinions.

Reply to
HeatMan

You can always carry cellphone and just call each other.

I have a Radio Shack that just plugs into a receptacle and needs no wiring. Works well enough for our use to a detached garage. Should work in your setup also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I use the FM plug ins that use the house wiring. works great. Bought from radio shack. Don't know if still available. Google for them . Warren

Reply to
Warren Weber

I mentioned that. The Wife didn't like the idea. Besides, my cell phone gets turned off when I hit the door..

Thanks. I'll look into it. Specifically, how many stations it has.

Reply to
HeatMan

NuTone used to make really good ones. Probably they still do.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

I have one that has 3 units. I know they make them with 4. You can probably get them with more. As Ed said I have a unit in the detached garage. I occasionally get a bit of interference but they are really handy. Was cheap too. Around $60.00

Reply to
3rd eye

As many stations as you need. They are all "masters". Ones of the same brand are compatible, so if the come in sets of two and you need eight, you just buy four sets. But if you call from one it will send to all stations that are on the same channel. Most have three channels, so it is possible to zone off areas using different channels.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Be aware that if you use the FM units that plug into the house wiring, all units are supposed to run on one side of a single powerline transformer, so if your outbuilding, for example, and house are on different transformers, they may not work. I had all kinds of problems with mine, until I discovered that the units did not work as long as they were plugged into the same circuit with a transformer, such as a recharger for a battery drill or such. Also be aware that your neighbor on your transformer can go buy a unit and talk/listen in. Other than that, they worked pretty well for years.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Hi HeatMan:

I installled an intercom made by Aiphone several years ago to go between my house and workshop 150' away. It is a "professional grade" unit and works quite well. They make units that support up to 10 stations, and have a variety of styles and options. They cost more than the RS stuff, but are completely private, and in my opinion, look and sound better.

NuTone is a common brand, but I have heard that they don't hold up well.

Regards, John.

Reply to
the_tool_man