insurance question

Page 4 of 7
VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

Well, and the chickenhawk neo-cons like to chant -- Freedom isn't Free
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 07:02:39 -0400, Stan Brown

Good advice, but you can also counter sue for attorney's cost.

Read the facts and testimony of the McDonald's suit. It was fair and properly decided. If you don't think so, you likely have not read the case. I'm not suggesting that there are not frivolous cases and bad decisions - there are, every day - but that's a bad example of a bad decision.

No, it was not.
The jury was obviously prejudiced agaist big corps and should have found for McDonalds.
valvejob wrote:

You're a moron who obviously has no clue what that case was about, or the actual fact pattern supporting it.
Deadrat wrote:

Which was beyond not only safe industry standards, but exceeded McDonalds own guidelines ...

Not in the US, except in very rare circumstances.
--
"The Internet is famously powered by the twin engines of
bitterness and contempt." -- Nathan Rabin, /The Onion/

It is worth noting that the facts must be "legal" facts, i.e., you must be able to prove the assertions true. "Actual" truth may not be much help if you can't convince the jury.

The only reason that the McDonald's coffee case is "notorious" is that people like you don't take the trouble to find out about it. McDonald's kept their coffee at temperatures beteen 180 and 190 degrees F, even though liquid at that temperature is dangerous enough to cause 3rd degree burns within second of contact. McDonald's had known about the danger for years because of accidents, complaints, and other law suits.
The plaintiff was found to be 20% at fault.
Ordinary folks don't need to

nice little old lady the much smaller amount she originally wanted to cover medical expenses.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

McDonalds was punished because this was the 4th or 5th lawsuit they had lost for the very same willful negligence, each time the jury's increased the punitive damages, McDonalds continued to ignore the known danger and finally caused very tragic harm to an elderly lady who had to live the rest of her life in pain, with unhealed/missing skin tissue over a large portion of her crotch.
May the mothers of those who claim this verdict was unjust suffer the same fate.

So, some people like their coffee that hot. Most people don't put it in their crotch when driving or sitting down. That case will never be "settled" in people's minds because each side has their opinion and is not changing it.
wrote in message

Nobody "likes" their coffee at over 180 degrees F. It's undrinkable at that temperature. And dangerous.

Certainly nobody intentionally "puts it in their crotch" at any time. The questions was whether the hot coffee constituted a danger for which McDonald's was responsible.

The case was "settled" in court. Ignornant people's unmovable opinions have no bearing on whether the case was a bad decision. It wasn't, in the sense that it comports with the current state of liability law.

You, sir, are correct. It needs to be brewed at 180-190 to be brewed properly, and not leach out the bitter acids. But then it needs to be cooled to be drunk.
I pour water from a bubbling tea kettle through a Melitta paper filter to make my one mug of coffee a day. That has to be around 200. But I have a lot of cold creamer and my five spoons of sugar in the cup, and when the mug is full, I have to put it back into the microwave for twenty seconds.
Overheated coffee is bitter as all get out, but some people like it that way.
Steve
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

IIRC, in the McD's case there was also testimony that at 190 degrees F, McD's could water down the coffee and get an extra 6 - 8 cups more out of every pound as compared to, say Dunkin Donuts coffee, because at the high heat McD's used, there was much more coffee "aroma". In other words, McDs was saving money on ground coffee by serving the extra hot liquid, and refused to make changes despite the prior incidents because McD s was trying to make extra profits on the coffee.
Shades of the Ford Pinto or the Chevy / GM pick up trucks with the side saddle gas tanks.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Bullshit. No one can consume coffee that hot without burning skin and flesh.

Really? And where do millions of people put beverages as they exit the drive through windows?

You might want to consult the actual facts of the case, then stuff your "opinion" up your ass where it belongs.

You've never seen my wife drink coffee. I know other that do also. In some cases, the coffee has to travel some distance on a take out and it is just getting to what others consider the minimum temperature. Can't please everyone.

Smart ones use cup holders or the seat next to them. Personally, I've never seen anyhone hold it in ther crotch but you seem to think it is normal.

Thank you for making my point. You did it well.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Bullshit. Put up or shut up, liar. Drink a cup, or even 1/2, of coffee that is at 190 degrees F.
Do it ... do it now.

And when the cars of that older day did not have cup holders ?

This from the lying jackass that claims his wife can drink coffee at 190 degrees F.
Go ahead, do it .... do it now, liar.

Report back to us after you drink that 190 degree coffee, jackass.

Heck, my wife can yell hotter than that.
Steve
wrote in message

In a cup holder, you fucking child raper!

You like stuffing things up children's asses, don't you, you fucking baby raper!
Deadrat wrote: ...

The problem w/ that "logic" is that most coffee is brewed at roughly those temperatures. The real problem w/ the case is that the idiot who spilled it wouldn't own up to her own stupidity and the jury didn't have enough sense to send her packing...

Not so. The evidence showed that McD was selling its coffee at 10 or actually I think it was 20 degrees hotter than the competition.
They did this on purpose so that it would stay hot longer.
Since then, McD has lowered the temp of its coffee, so we can't verify this directly now.
Plus they were selling it at this temp through the drive-thru window, and it's foreseeable and probably known, and probably known by mcd that many customers hold the coffee in their lap. (I"m saying probably. I don't know what proof was offerred or what the jury decided on that. They might have concluded that other companies knew, or that poeople who themselves bought coffee at drive-thrus worked for mcd, and mcd "should have" known.)
She had second degree burns over much of her legs etc. and the competition's coffee would not have done that.

She admitted she spilled it. It's obvious anyhow.
The punitive part of the verdict, which as great as the injury was, was still most of the verdict, was large because McDonalds is large. If it was a guy who owned one restaurant and netted 50,000 dollars a year, a 5, 3, maybe even 1 thousand dollar punitive amount might have been considered by the jury enough to punish him, to make him hurt.
In this case, they took the profit that McDonalds made on coffee alone, for only one day, and I think they took only a portion of that, and that was the punitive amount. Anything less would have been petty change to a company as big as McDonalds. The amount was decresed a lot on appeal, and I don't know what fraction of the coffee amount they ended up with.
This is the way punitive damages have worked for I believe more than 100 years.