Insurance claim....

Page 2 of 3

My experience is, just like in an auto collision claim, if further damage is uncovered the adjuster will come back and reappraise his original estimate and give you the money to fix the newly uncovered damage.
Sanity wrote:

... and if it's just like an auto collision claim*, that answer only applies if it's a _good_ insurance company. So watch them like they're crooks, and act toward them like they're friends.
* Dad's shop started out as a collision repair company -- some insurance companies are really good at taking care of their customers -- some aren't. We had one guy working for us for a while who sold out his shop & retired to working on classics for my dad. He liked to walk by Allstate offices with his hands cupped just like in the ads, catch the eye of the sales guy, then open his hands like he was dumping a formerly treasured object in the mud. You have one guess as to what he thought of "You're in good hands with Allstate."
--
Tim Wescott
Tim Wescott wrote:

I hate those bastardswith a passion . Dicked me around for five years , I ended up with less than ten grand and a lower back that'll hurt for the rest of my life . <<tail ended by a Toyauto , on my Harley Sportster , which was totalled>> And I had to fight tooth and nail to get that much .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"
Tim Wescott wrote:

Hmm, Allstate was the WORST I ever dealt with. Yhey treat their customer in need of coverage like a criminal. In my will, I told my kids not to deal with Allstate EVER!, LOL. T

Interesting. My experience with Allstate was great, and it was Amica who treated me like a criminal.

Never had Allstate but the guy who fell asleep and plowed into my house wrecking my deck , yard and broken window did...The asshole who showed up to look at it offered 600 bucks..I told him to get off my property and they would hear from my lawyer...Several months later just before trial they settled for the middle bid (2500)of the 3 that I got which is all I wanted in the begining...It also cost them my lawyer costs but I was without front steps for several months...

Document everything and fax it over to your adjuster. No at all uncommon.
Existential Angst wrote:

I had a similar experience last year after a hurricane took a part of my roof off. I had the State Farm adjuster come by and survey the damage. A few days later I got the estimate. In the meantime, I was told of a local independent adjuster that works for you. I called and he came by a did his survey. His inspection uncovered much more damage then the State Farm adjuster. He contacted State Farm and they met at my house and together they did a walk around to see who was right. State Farm sent me a corrected estimate it was several thousand dollars more. They agreed with everything my adjuster found. My adjuster charged a flat fee and it was reasonable. Check it out...
That sounds like the kind of advice the OP requested. Very kind of you to share.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Now THIS was an eyebrow raiser! I'll definitely look into this.
I'm wondering if a contractor himself can do a similar function -- at least for his given trade, such as roof, visavis interior damage.
I'll see what one roofer, who I really like, thinks. If he thinks the insurance guy was in the ballpark, I'll forego any squabbling, but if he thinks it is low, I'll weigh his effectiveness vs that of an independent adjuster.
But it's a great option!
--
EA

Existential Angst wrote:

Always happy to help. The State Farm guy had no problem with the indep. adjuster. Agreed with everything he pointed out. I held the check for a while, until I was happy. Good luck. Chuck

I'd get the bids from a couple of people (you'll probably have to do that anyway) and see what they look like. If close, I'd go back to the first guy and ask him about it. If not close, I'd go back to the first guy and ask him about and only go for the public adjuster if your insurance adjuster blows you off. Any other seems like too much work. Especially since if the bids are close you know the adjuster was good.
--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars

You MAY not get the full value of some things..Like a 10 year old AC unit or a 20 year old roof..It will be pro rated..Unless like me you have REPLACEMENT insurance wihich is a bit more costly but no worries...HTH...
Where do you buy a 20 year old roof, to replace the one you lost?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The top posting stormin moron...They take the cost of the new roof , AC unit or whatever and divide it by the life expectancy of it...Try looking up pro rating...Idiot...

I wonder if different states have different regulations? In Texas (I think) the state pretty much tells the insurance company what they can and cannot do. When I purchased my homeowners ins I wasn't aware of an option and I deliberately purchased the cheapest I could find. They just replaced my roof outright and applied a $1800 deductible. Ouch!
Jim

They do. In Indiana (anyway) you can get either replacement value (for more premium) or you can get the prorated kind.
--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars

What does you policy say about repairs? Do they help with the contractor? Have you asked your agent? If that is not the final settlement you can easily go back for more or tell the insurance company to "make you whole", a term that says they will put you back to wherey ou were before the damage.

I just went through a couple automobile insurence claims re: car accidents by my hell-on-wheels daughter.
I learned that the "settlement" is just an "offer", and can be refused or accepted or negotiated like any other "sale", at least in re: to a totalled car. The offer was generous and I jumped on it.
The insurence company paid the claim for the other accident (~$5k estimate, $7.5k out the door) without question (I used a preferred shop).
I don't know how it works with homeowner's insurence..... yet.
-Zz

Depends on the company. I had Amica 23 years ago and they all but accused me of damaging my own house to cause water damage (the upstairs toilet tank cracked). Okaaay, since I was away at the time, and the only room damaged was my gorgeous kitchen (I'd only bought the house 2 years before) why would I do it? The kitchen I have now is fine, but it's not as nice as the one I had before the damage, because I just took the money they gave me. I couldn't afford to put in the same top-of-the-line fixtures that were there when I bought the house. Amica told me, "You don't need to replace the drywall, just spray anti-microbial on it and paint over it." Umm, ok, half the drywall on the ceiling had dissolved and was on the floor, and the what was left on the ceiling was black with mold. Yeah, I'm going to just cover that over with paint. Uh huh. At least I insisted on having the obvious damage repaired properly.
I switched to Allstate after the "great kitchen flood" and 2 years ago, when a heating pipe burst in the wall they were great. They not only had people out to dry out the house and rip out the soaked floors and drywall, they didn't consider the claim "settled" until I had submitted the final bill from my contractor. It didn't seem like much in the beginning, but the electrical box had to be replaced because it was directly underneath the leak, and the leak wasn't discovered for probably 2 days. It took that long for water to appear in the front hall and by then it was "raining" all over the basement. All I had to do was fax over the electrical estimate and I had a check in 3 days.
Of course, between my car and my house I've had insurance for 35 years and only filed the two claims for the house.