Insurance

Group:
My insurance agent has sent me a notice asking me to confirm that "The electrical service entrance and the distribution panel have been replaced within the last x years".
I only moved to the US last year - and so I want to make sure that I understand what the insurance agent means by "electrical service entrance" and the "distribution panel" is the same as what I mean!
When I bought a house I had it rewired (previously 1924 knob & tube, no grounding, reversed polarity, etc.) - the fuse panel / electric meter were replaced with shiny new ones!
I assume that the fuse panel / electric meter combo is the "distribution panel" ... everything being home run from there (i.e. no sub-panels). Is the "electrical service entrance" simply the pipe-kind-of thing where the +110V/-110V comes in from the overhead wires? Can any kind soul confirm or correct my understanding.
Cheers
Den

Yes. You should be able to get a certificate from either the utility company, the electrical inspector, or both. The panel should have a sticker inside from the inspector. I don't know what they want exactly, but a digital photo of it may do the job if you can't get a certification.
This sounds like he's asking about the main electrical panel. If you have fuses, I'd think you need to upgrade to circuit breakers. The bottom line is ask your agent to clarify his question, or better yet have him look at the panel himself. Always tell the truth to an insurance agent, and it is better to say "I don't know" if you are not sure.

The 'fuse board' is in fact circuit breakers.

or
Why not call the insurance man and ask him to come by for a peek at the service. Have him explain what he is looking for. Your statement of "replaced in X years" is a bit vague. Lots of insurance companies refuse to insure homes when they start to get old. Unless you keep replacing the systems. If the insurance man is asking this question, the next one will be about the plumbing or roofing.
Different insurance companies have different criteria for an electrical upgrade. From what your agent asked for, I would expect that replacing the meter and replacing the fuse panel with a circuit breaker panel would be what he's after. When homeowners don't have their paperwork any more, I usually send the underwriters a digital photo of the panel and its inspection sticker, which includes the installation date on it.
Disclaimer: unless you see my name on your declarations page, I'm not your insurance agent. This is general information, not specific advice, since I don't know your company, haven't read your policy, and don't know exactly what your agent wants.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

think what theyre after is did you replace & have proof its done correctly and to code (completed permit)..
distribution panel is the circuit breaker panel & the breakers it contains.
Elect Service Entrance = feed or wires from meter to panel, the meter itself, the pipe riser coming out the meter & the weather head sitting on top of that riser including the wire inside that pipe down to the meter.
Thanks - this is just what I was looking for.
Cheers

They want to be sure you now have breakers rather than fuses. Fuses can cause fires if an improper fuse is installed by the homeowner, breakers are safer because a homeowner would not typically replace one, nor need to replace one.
If I was an insurance company, I would not want to insure anyone with a fuse box as they would be a higher risk.
So send them a picture of your new main panel with the door open to show that you have breakers. And tell them what work you had done to your wiring.
"Den" wrote in message

entrance"
were
or
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:26:35 +0000, Den wrote:

Ask your local building inspector to check the electrical and then give you a written statement to turn over to the insurance company. That ought to keep them happy.

Just a little aside to this thread, fuses are actually better than breakers. Provided the proper fuse is installed. With the keyed fuse sockets so that improper fuses can't be installed, they are much more reliable than breakers. Not what people are used to seeing, but true none the less.
Dan
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:47:18 +0000, Dan wrote:

Yes, and once a fuse is blown, it's replaced with a new one. Circuit breakers aren't necessarily designed to be eternal in nature.