insulation under porch

Hello all, I have a closed in front porch and it has a crawl space underneath. I want to insulate it for the winter. It has exposed floor joists and I can see the subfloor. My question is what type of insulation is best for this? Also what is the correct way to install it? I live in NJ where there is plenty of heat and humidity. And could be very cold in winter. Thanks

Reply to
mo

If there is no chance of it getting wet just use fiberglass batts and poly for a vapour barrier, otherwise look for a rigid type insulation.

Reply to
Martik

Keep poly on the warm side like the floor not the bottom of the insulation as you will get condensation. If you staple the plastic between the joists calk the seems and then put insulation in place between the joists (fibreglass). Then use something like a stucco wire to keep rodents out of the insulation and as a finish to keep insulation in place. I assume you have a crawl space. That works for me in Canada. Styrofoam is a good alternative as mentioned and is better if you have a less than perfect dry space, but more expensive. Home Depot sells a not ichy insulation as well if you don t like to deal with fibre glass.

Reply to
Dick

Hi, Also skirting has to be insulated as well if there is one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If it's enclosed on the bottom, you might also consider putting the poly on the ground and weighting it down with pea-stone. That'll keep the ground mosture out but won't do anything for the moisture in the air.

Martik wrote:

Reply to
Pat

it will cost more but I would get the foam in place closed cell, its a self vapor barrier:) all studs must ber open.

I would still put heavy plastic on the ground and leave lots of vents for the crawl space so moisture doesnt accumulate

Reply to
hallerb

And no matter what you do, prepare for rodents. They love nesting in insulation. Ideally, I'd probably put tin over the insulation, but I know that can be costly.

----- In a perfect world, there would be more cats than rodents !!!!

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff