insulation; UFFI

OK everyone! I haven't looked into UFFI in more than 20 years now.....friends of ours are looking at a house that used UFFI as the insulation in 1978........anyone have any uptodate statistics/info/web sources that they would be willing to share? What does everyone think nowadays? Buy or beware? thanks very much everyone in advance Chris

Reply to
Steve & Chris Clark

OK everyone! I haven't looked into UFFI in more than 20 years now.....friends of ours are looking at a house that used UFFI as the insulation in 1978........anyone have any uptodate statistics/info/web sources that they would be willing to share? What does everyone think nowadays? Buy or beware? thanks very much everyone in advance Chris

Reply to
Steve & Chris Clark

Brick house? Nice and dry?

Reply to
clare

Brick house? Nice and dry? Go for it. Frame house and or damp? Stay away. UFFI was approoved for dry brick buildings, and installed in anything. Problems in the questionable installs gave it a bad name.

Another situation where our government got involved without checking its facts properly.

Reply to
clare

Properly installed i n dry cavities it did not outgass excessively or break down. It should never have been installed in frame buildings - was great in brick.

Reply to
clare

now.....friends of ours are

1978........anyone

would be willing to

in anything.

without checking

8/19/03

I thought your earlier post "Brick house? Nice and dry?" was going to point out an oxymoron. (Relative to the cavity behind the outer brick wythe.)

The operative words are likely "Nice and dry," regardless of the exterior finish, unless you are quoting a truism in favor of "dry" and against "damp."

You certainly are correct, per the government's all-too-recent "recall" of its long standing ban on UFFI. (Without so much as an "oops.") The stuff does turn to dust. But it requires external force or vibration to cause disintergration. Reasonably well applied (rather rare with the all-too-common gypsy installers), the stuff held together until you disturbed its environment.

Jim Jim

Reply to
james w lazenby

Ray,

please stop posting comments that use profanity and are intended to insult people. This post is also another example where your posting makes very little sense. Please try to write comments that are more comprehendable to the alt.building.construction audience.

Owen

Reply to
Owen White

Please make clearer your objections.. Is this profanity, insulting, or makes little sense. Her post merely made little sense to me.

Just means that still air is one of the best insulators known to man.. And that most "insulators" are a way to benefit from it.. But that they don't work very well when wet.

Why brick and not wood? Brick skin over wood frame OK? What is the damned stuff that it's so finicky?

Is this all you've got to say?

Sounds like it deserves the bad name.. What do you think?

Ranting, politicizing, or you've got some issues. Which.??

Reply to
Ray

Please explain?

Reply to
bsfdl

Ray,

Your subject line uses profanity and is intended to insult. Your sig about stupidity is intended to insult. Your contrary attitude in your post is intended to insult. Your post does not make sense in that someone using this newsgroups as an archive would not be able to read your post and extract information from it.

Your choice to behave this way is passive aggresive. A simple test for passive agressive behavior is when someone is using agressive behavior (like insulting people) and then they use a sentiment like: "um, who, me? Did I do anything?". That is the passive part. This is what you're doing when you state "Please make clearer your objections". What you're doing is choosing to avoid the fact that you are intentionally insulting people. Its not lost on most readers even if you'd like to pretend that isnt so. Using profanity or insulting sigs isn't lost on anyone.

Please take responsibility for the fact that you are acting inappropriately and stop.

Owen

Reply to
Owen White

Your response would be different if you thought you were dealing with a man?

Because you are.

I've explained that.

Neither. Just that I've had some experience with the stuff, and iff properly installed in the right kind of structure it is just fine.

By the way, you got issues with those of the "feminine persuasion"? Many names fit both genders - and mine just happens to be the short for Clarence. Ya wouldn't hang that name on a woman.

Have they "outlawed" MDF, plywood, carpet, aspenite, and anything else that has a formaldehyde base??? Even some paints outgas the stuff.

Reply to
clare

No it would not.. The "Man" below includes WoMan. Although the "Journey" was through the Y chromosome..

BTW, Neither would I .. :)

Why would I ask if you'd done it adequately? I still don't know.

And that's enough for you to dis the government of the whole USofA?

Clarence doesn't make you any dumber...

Reply to
Ray

Owen,

  1. The message AND your replies are cross posted to: alt.building.construction,alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

So far.. the alt.building.construction audience. Includes JD#1,2,3, and Matt, some other blowhards.

Which audience are you referring to? The ones (under pseudonyms) posting nonsense questions? Or the ones responding in excrutiating opnionated detail?

Reply to
Ray

You appear to be thicker than a 12 foot plank, so I'll stop banging my head against the wall.

I was dis ing the Canadian Government who was just as stupid as yours, for once.

Or you any smarter.

Reply to
clare

If you consider our government so stupid, maybe you would prefer the country on the southern border of Canada to be, say, Somalia? or maybe Columbia? How about Uzbekistan? or China, or on and on we could go.

JTMcC.

Reply to
John T. McCracken

Damn you John.. He, she, it is going to keep on trying..

Reply to
Ray

Reply to
nospam4me