Insulation question

We are replacing ceiling tiles in my mother's house and it appears there never was any insulation previously. Our handyman wants to put out the roll insulation and then blow insulation on top of that. Is this really necessary? Isn't the roll insulation all that is necessary? TIA
De3pends on the weather where you live (duluth vs. Charolotte), among other factors. Roughly where are you ?
Central Florida

Dinah wrote:

Do you mean he wants to put in roll insulation and then blow insulation on top of that? If so that should be a good plan, but you may be able to just blow the insulation in unless there are problems with that like vapor barrier etc.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

If the ceiling tiles just sit loose in a grid (not clipped down) you may find (as I did) that it 'snows' blown in insulation every time someone slams a door for the 1st few months. I did. It's also a mess if you ever have to replace a tile or remove it to work above. JustDave
Thanks Dave. That's one reason I didn't want it blown in on top of the roll stuff.

slams

Just FYI, this is a slight underestimate for the R-value. R-value/inch goes up slightly when you compress fiberglass insulation. This is why higher density fiberglass insulations have a higher R-value/inch. Of course, total R-value still goes down when you compress the insulation.
Cheers, Wayne