Insulation Question

Page 2 of 2

<snip>
Mine is just settled. I don't have a real mess. My big issue is that at one end of the attic, I have a large pile of Halloween stuff that we just put up there. (I know, I know, very lazy) I don't want to take that stuff down, so if I do cellulose I am looking at renting the machine twice. Then there is budget. I figured if I did batting, I could buy it a little at a time, and work my way down. Then next year, do the "halloween area" during halloween when the attic space is empty.
I realize the best plan would be to remove the old, and replace with new, but I don't have the energy to do that, so I want to go right over the top. I figure as long as I don't use vapor barrie, and I don't block soffet vents, I am not hurting anything, right?
BV.
Then again, maybe I'd go with icynene. That stuff looks pretty good. I'm looking into using if for the walls.
i've heard various concerns about using foams in walls. Anybody have personal experience doing a retrofit and blowing icynene into existing walls?
Also, I've seen some references about using it under the roof to greatly reduce heating of the attic space, but the counterpoint is that that heat has to re-radiate out the shingle side, which can lead to overheating of the shingles. I'd be interested in hearing from people with experience in this as well.
TIA.
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:47:36 -0500, Benign Vanilla

oh yea, my house is old and has no soffit vents so there's no ventilation there other than what flows through the attic. Insulation directly under the roof would leave no way for the heat to dissipate into the attic (that's the point) so it would have to radiate back out to space.

one option may be to set up an air gap then foam/insulate over that so that there's still air-flow directly under the roof surface. For this to be effective, I'm assuming that I'd have to add soffit venting and a ridge vent. Any reason this wouldn't be a reasonable solution.
More on my climate - mid-atlantic (Philly region), pretty warm and humid during the summer.

<snip>

would
batts you

attic
blow
and
I was not planning on using a vapor barrier, so this should not be an issue.
BV.
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 09:22:42 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"

Lay the batts on top of the existing insulation. Do not force or compress the insulation. Make sure there is adequate ventilation for the attic to breath. In theory the more insulation, the better, but there is practical limit. In the end, you'll save a lot of heating/cooling costs.