Insulation options for a basement ceiling

I spoke with the county inspection office today and they said that because the lights are insulation rated, the insulation can sit up against the lights. He recommended that I should remove the kraft paper so that it doesn't touch the light. I expect I will keep it 1-2" away from the recessed lights.

Thanks,

David

Reply to
DL

Sounds reasonable, the only reason why I would go more is only because the area would somewhat be sealed off. Once the sheetrock is on the party is over and you'll never get in there again easily.

But its good practice to never actaully encapsulate the area with insulation.

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib

According to DL :

You only need to seal building envelope penetrations - which will include the garage -> basement.

I'm pretty sure the foam won't hurt the cable per-se. The issues are more along the lines of - it's very sticky/messy, if you ever had to change something it'd be a PITA. Secondly, it's not "certified" as a moisture seal for inside conduit - which is why you use DUX.

Any penetration from the garage to the house should be sealed. A lump of DUX in the house end of the conduit does the trick.

[A neighbor's house where we used to live burned down because there was no seal on the main, and the resulting influx of moist air corroded out the panel.]
Reply to
Chris Lewis