insulation of styrofoam

Page 1 of 2
Another question for all of you,
I have one of those birdfeeders that goes into a window like an air conditioner. I haven't used it in years but would like to. I need to put something on both sides since it doesn't reach the edges of my window. I was thinking of using Styrofoam boards that I've gotten from packaging. It would be easy for me to cut into the proper size. I would then paint it to blend with the wall.
But is the wind and cold going to come right through it? Should I just set it up in the warmer months to avoid a draft in my bedroom?
Thanks Again, Bonnie
PS- This is on a different side of the house from those rascal squirrels.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Depends on how well you seal things. The cold will not pass through the foam, but surely will any gaps. I'm not familiar witht he feeder so I don't know exactly how it fits.
Add pictures here
โœ–
the styrofoam may be very flammable and thus might be unsafe and violate codes
there may be a better (flame retardant & ok with code) material

Add pictures here
โœ–

You mean like Styrofoam? The Dow brand of Styrofoamฎ used for insulation is always flame retardant. Styrofoam is a registered trademark for their brand of extruded polystyrene foam
The packaging material may or may not be as there is no requirement to be flame retardant. That material is properly called expanded polystyrene. Material used for food contact is NOT flame retardant, but anything used for construction, insulation of an appliance MUST be modified. It is treated with bromides that will stop the burning if the source of ignition is removed.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

.

Add pictures here
โœ–
will exposed styrofoam in a use like the op mentioned pass code?

Add pictures here
โœ–
you have codes for bird feeders ??
I wouldn't waste much time moving away from there :)
bill

Add pictures here
โœ–
re-read original post, poster mentioned bird feeder will be attached to residential window like window unit ac
questions?

Add pictures here
โœ–
re-read original post, poster mentioned bird feeder will be attached to residential window like window unit ac
questions?
I don't expect anyone to be spying my house for code violations. Nor do I expect the budgies to be lighting any cigarettes or such...to cause a spark. Not unless the squirrels become a bad influence.
I bought some foamy strips of insulation used for windows, with adhesive on one side. I would use this to create a better seal around the styrofoam.
Bonnie
Add pictures here
โœ–

if it works and you have small leaks caulk might work to stop the leaks
Add pictures here
โœ–

I don't think there are codes for bird feeders.
Add pictures here
โœ–

har har, then again, some municipality somewhere may have such an ordinance...like the "you can't beat your uncle dad's chicken's eggs after 10 p.m." in podunk
the issue is the safety of exposed styrofoam in a residence, which may be addressed by building codes
i don't recall seeing any exposed styrofoam (or any kind of foam for that matter) in new residential building lately...
Add pictures here
โœ–

When use as insulation for walls, etc, it should be covered with sheetrock to comply with codes. A couple of pieces for a bird feeder would not come under any codes. It is not a highly flammable material. It does not spontaneously combust. In the situation posed by the OP, it is no more dangerous that the drapes or curtains hanging on the window or many of the other materials normally found in a house. I doubt you keep the newspaper in a fireproof container.
Want to see how foam is used in a house/ www.polysteel.com or www.integraspec.com
Add pictures here
โœ–
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

A little sarcasm? And justly deserved!
Add pictures here
โœ–
wrote in message

you might wanna have a look at 5. on this page http://www.pionusparrot.com/ToySafety.htm
Add pictures here
โœ–
effi wrote:

Try staying on topic. The sarcasm was justified because you were indicating that Styrofoam was dangerous if exposed in a house. Your comment had nothing to do with birds.
As for the danger of Styrofoam to birds, the op indicated the Styrofoam would be to either side of the bird feeder, so unless the birds are pecking on the house, if wouldn't affect them. The site you gave was about bird toys; a block of Styrofoam that is part of building is not a toy to a wild bird and would likely be of no interest.
Add pictures here
โœ–
wrote in message

chuckle - you're hilarious, with your off topic "sarcasm"

wrong
wrong
see comment above

wrong
in summation: do you persist to posit, after reading the cited information, that styrofoam is not toxic and safe in or adjacent to a bird feeder installed in a residential window?
Add pictures here
โœ–
effi wrote:

Two points only. First you brought up the subject up building codes and Styrofoam, and that has what to do with birds? Second, the cited information was just opinion without any scientific fact. S
Add pictures here
โœ–

Cool site. I see the forms used on tv now and then, but when I chat with other people about it, they look at me weird. Their responses: "Styrofoam Concrete Forms?"
later,
tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com
Add pictures here
โœ–
wrote in message

given the toxicity of styrofoam, why introduce toxic material into an environment birds are feeding in?

Add pictures here
โœ–

Sorry effi, it is not toxic. If ingested by a bird it may block the digestive tract same as any other inert material. There is a difference between blocking and being toxic. You pointed to a list about toys for birds to play with.. That is different than insulating a window for a feeder. While they should not eat any plastics, they can sit on it, nest on it, sleep on it, and have no adverse effects EPS foam is used for coffee cups, cooker, seafood shippers etc. It is allowed because it is on the GRAS list and is NOT toxic.
It is recyclable, it saves energy, it is safely incinerated and gives off 18,000 Btu per pound when used to generate electricity in a trash to energy plant. Oh, not all foam is Styrofoam. Only the product made by Dow Chemical as that is their registered trademark for extruded polystyrene foam.
Any other questions?
Add pictures here
โœ–