insulation installation question

I plan to add insulation to my attic. Right now I have R11 fiberglass bats between the 2x4 floor joists. On top of the joists are 2x8 sheets of plywood (not secured to the floor) so we can store things in the attic and to make sure we don't step through the ceiling underneath. Should I remove the plywood before I put down the addition bats of insulation, i.e. so the old fiberglass is touching the new? Or can I just put the new insulation on top off the plywood?

Thanks,

Reply to
Zack

kind of defeats the purpose of the plywood.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Yes you can put it on top of the plywood. It might even work better that way.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I'd place the batts right on top of the ply. There would be less compression of the pre-existing batts which would maintain the R value in it. You could leave a small alley for storage tubs, losing that bit of improvement.

Reply to
C & E

Not an insulation expert, but I would be concerned with theply wood interfering with the migration of moisture. Guessing that the plywood is of no use anymore, so you might thing about removing it, or using is for a limited area of storeage.

tom @

Tom The Great

Thank you all for your answers. I will put the new bats on top of the plywood.

Thanks,

Reply to
Zack