Insulation for a Bathroom

I live in a condo. My bathroom got destroyed by water from the next door neighbor's unit. Over some period of time water flowed in and the insulation was soaked and mildewed. So I need to keep the water out from both my side (easy) and the outside (hard).

I would like to keep the water out of the insulation. Someone suggested to me that i use encapsulated insulation. However, I cannot find it anywhere. I went to my local home contractor supply stores. None. Home Depot: None. Lowes: The folks there did not even know what insulation was.

Is there some alternative to encapsulated insulation? Where could i find it?

Reply to
faceman28208

Is this an ongoing issue? :-) You could use expanding foam.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Are you talking about two interior walls, that is your bathroom and your neighbor share a wall but it is not an outside wall. If that is the case, you do not need any insulation at all. Put either the paperless drywall up or use a cement board and then tile. With tile, your neighbor's problem will stay on their side of the wall in general.

If it is an outside wall, use a vapor barrior. This is just a sheet of plastic you put up against your neighbor's side of the wall before laying in the insulation. It can be stapled or maybe in your case, use a spray adhesive and put it up like wallpaper. The now dried wall studs can also be sprayed with water based polyurethane to prevent mold from getting a hold should it get wet again. It will also trap any mold inside the wood forever keeping it away from you. You can also put a second vapor barrier up on your side of the wall over the insulation.

I am suprised you couldn't find encapsulated insulation, I got some at Lowes and HD last year. It is just regular insulation inside a long plastic bag. It is not really waterproof though. It would be open at the top and bottom and has small slits to let the air move so it dosen't act like a baloon. Its nicer to work with though as the fibers stay away from you.

Reply to
pipedown

Concur with that idea. But I wouldn't do a thing until your condo board or HOA or whatever has documented proof in hand from the neighbor, that the problem was fixed and unlikely to recur. I presume your insurance company is going after the neighbor for the repair costs?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers