Insulation filler for hollow wood door?

Hi,

We have an old, heavy wood door, hollow in places. I can see the spaces on by looking through the hole for the peep-hole. There are spaces on both sides, plus up and down, and I think I could use that as an access.

Are there any insulation products available which I could spray into that access hole?

Spray type foams, such as Mastercraft Insulating Foam, seem inappropriate, since they expand when drying and might split the door.

Thanks! Dugie

Reply to
Dugie

There are low expanding versions of this stuff. 'Great Stuff' is one brand off the top of my head. Look for the low expanding versus the standard stuff. My experience though is that these kind of doors are not completely hollow they are made up of honeycombs or other supporting structure. You would need to drill lots of holes to hit each void. That could be possible and then add a new wood veneer to cover the holes. With all that trouble you might as well just get a new door.

Reply to
No

If your worry about others seeing hollow spaces then being enticed to break in, get two plates drill a hole in them to fit the peephole. Take the peephole out put plates on either side of door, then put peep-hole back into place. I?ve done this with doorknobs. Get creative and look around the house for plate material or check hardware store. You should be able to find something that looks decorative. Better than damaging the door by filling holes with expandable insulation. If someone wants to try and break in, a door is not going to stop them! Stick some security alarm decals in quick to see spots.

Reply to
Lorie

inappropriate,

Thanks, No. I've heard of 'Great Stuff'. I think my door may be honeycombed, so I'll only spray what I can reach via the peep hole, and door knob and dead bolt holes. Drilling holes isn't worth the work. :)

Besides, I just spent a lot of time cutting raised panels, putting them on the door, and painting the entire door, so a new door - no way. :-)

Dugie

Reply to
Dugie

Thanks Lorie,

I'm not worried about others seeing hollow spaces, since the door appears as solid.

Your ideas for plates are good. And I've already used the security alarm decal idea.

Yep, if someone wants to break in, not much will stop them. A few years ago, I installed an "arm," a 3' piece of galvanized angle iron across one door, held in place by two more 5" vertical angle irons at each end. To prevent the use of something thin to lift the arm from the outside, each end of the arm is secured by 1 removable nail going through drilled holes in the arm and the end pieces. The end pieces are each secured with two 4" lag bolts. We were broken into before, and so far this has worked.

Dugie

inappropriate,

Reply to
Dugie