Insulation and Sealer for Hot Air Furnace Pipes

What kind of insulation is used on hot air furnace pipes and the sheet metal of the furnace plenum? I'd also like to seal the seams and joints which leak hot air and have heard there is some kind of liquid sealer for that.

Thanks,

TKM

Reply to
TKM

Do you want to insulate the pipes you have or are you looking for an answer about the insulation on the pipes you have. What you have could be asbestos or almost anything. To seal leaks you may want to use real duct tape made for ducts not the silver cloth stuff. For some uses the clay like stiff is far better. It all depends on the application.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

For insulating ducts I use duct wrap insulation. Usually 1 1/2" thick, but I think it comes in other sizes also. You can use foil tape to seal joints and there is also some caulk products that I have seen used, but I don't know the names. Try a plumbing supply for these materials if you can't get them at a home center or hardware store.

Reply to
John Grabowski

For small leaks in the plenum, you can use silicone caulk (RTV) in clear or silver. Home Depot carries duct wrap and the tape for it, as well as insulating sleeves for 6" ducts. Any big insulation supply house will have everything you need too, but they may or may not sell to the general public.

You can also use "Thumb Gum" for the small leaks.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake