Insulating un-climate controlled areas

I've got a workshop with no heater or AC (I'm in North Florida, so I don't NEED either), with fairly heavy shade year round. Would insulating the walls do anything useful? Currently it's exposed studs with T1-11 exterior and windows on 3 sides, with a sloped roof going from around 10 feet down to 8'1/2" or so.

My Father in law keeps insisting I insulate the place, but I don't see the utility, since there is nothing inside the workshop for the insulation to work on. Would it pretty much only make the workshop hotter in the summer and warmer in the winter, or would I actually be able to see a difference?

Thanks, Nathan

Reply to
nhurst

Hi, If you insulate, inside shop temp. will be more stable. How about cooler in summer, warmer in winter?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

it will SLOW DOWN the changes in indoor temp but if it is 90 outside, it will get to 90 or more inside eventually, the insulation slows down the flow of heat but cannont stop it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Rapid changes in temp will cause condensation on your 'stuff' insulation will slow it down.

Reply to
yourname

With some active participation, it can be very useful, e.g.: during cool part of day, let air in at one end & exhaust with fan at other extreme once outside temp up to inside temp, close all ventilation until evening.

Scheme works very well with large part of house.

barry

It will help, but not make a major difference. When the sun is hitting full strength, it will temper the heat rise from radiation, but not help the hot air coming in the door or windows. In the cooler weather, if everything is closed up, your body heat and heat from lights and motors will be retained a bit more. A couple of degrees, but not 15 or 20.

I have a similar setup here in New England and insulated last year. In winter I run heat at times and it helps considerably. In summer, it helps slightly, not a major factor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

FWIW My shop is in a loft over a garage just north of Philadelphia. It is heavily insulated so I can heat it in the winter. Without any heat or air conditioning and with the windows shut its temp stabilizes at about the average of the day plus the night temperature. 90 day and

70 night means about 80 in the next afternoon. For the winter with lights and motors the insulation makes it comfortable. For a long warm summer I work there in the mornings.

Edw> > the utility, since there is nothing inside the workshop for the

Reply to
Howard

I insulated my attic, now I dont cool of at night. If summer heat is the concern it should temper the days increase, but the next morning will be warmer.

Reply to
m Ransley