Insulating steam pipes

If you bother to check out the manufacturer specs on Reflextic, you'll notice that the stuff is only rated for +180=B0F. All steam systems run higher than that temp by at least 32=B0 (at phase change), and even more depending on the pressure that you run you system at. And yes, I realize that if you take a temp reading off of an uninsulated steam pipe (especially in an uninsulated crawl space) that the surface temp of the pipe could be less than 180=B0. The surface temp of the steam pipe is only the equalibrium temperature of the steam inside the pipe and the heat loss by conduction through the pipe wall. By insulating the pipes you are, by definition, raising their surface temperature. Ideally you raise their surface temperature to the same temperature as the steam inside in the pipe. The better this Reflextic works, the more you are raising the application temperature above the product rating. Don't be surprised if the Reflextic needs to be replaced (resulting in increased costs) due to significant degradation over a much shorter time than a standard application.

Reply to
Puck312

I would not bother with putting insulation on the steam pipes in the basement. When the heat cycles off, the pipes WILL cool down insulation or not. Then when the heat cycles back on most of the loss is in the inital heat required to heat the pipes back up. The heat that is lost is still in your basement and still serves to heat your house as it rises and warms the floor. Leave the basement door open to the first floor and make good use of the heat.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I'm in my second season with reflectix. Appears to be fine. I have noticed the living areas warnm up quicker and stay warmer longer. The basement is gently warmed by the pipes instead of being a hotbox from the uninsulated pipes. Even if the reflectix needs to be replaced in a few years the amount will still be minimal and well worth it. When the overpriced fiberglass goes (it will too) it will cost far more. Garbage men may not take the fiberglass thinking its asbestos then you have a disposal problem. If they sell it as pipe wrap I'm sure it can handle the task.

Reply to
bigjim

I've seen fiberglass insulation many years old with no sign of degradation. What makes you think it won't last?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

I have seen reflextic foil deteriorate on pipes and peal away, Ive had fiberglass on steam pipes for 30 years with no deterioration. Steam heat is maybe 60-190f above reflextics recommendations, steam can maybe be near 150 -300f

Reply to
ransley

How much asbestos insulation is in great shape? Same paper covering as the fiberglass.

Reply to
bigjim

We'll see won't we? If the reflectix goes in 10-15 years I'll replace with the same. Cheap and easy to install. To each his own I guess. Cutting fibreglass is a pain and requires long sleeves,mask and glasses. Refletix is 100% safe to handle and only requires scissors. The OP is doing the right thing by insulating his steam pipes. I chose an effective, affardable and easy to use solution to the same problem. I have already noticed the efficiency increase and will see an $$$ savings too.

Reply to
bigjim

Lots. Most that hasn't been disturbed.

Reply to