Insulating steam pipes

Page 2 of 2

I would not bother with putting insulation on the steam pipes in the basement. When the heat cycles off, the pipes WILL cool down insulation or not. Then when the heat cycles back on most of the loss is in the inital heat required to heat the pipes back up. The heat that is lost is still in your basement and still serves to heat your house as it rises and warms the floor. Leave the basement door open to the first floor and make good use of the heat.
Mark
I'm in my second season with reflectix. Appears to be fine. I have noticed the living areas warnm up quicker and stay warmer longer. The basement is gently warmed by the pipes instead of being a hotbox from the uninsulated pipes. Even if the reflectix needs to be replaced in a few years the amount will still be minimal and well worth it. When the overpriced fiberglass goes (it will too) it will cost far more. Garbage men may not take the fiberglass thinking its asbestos then you have a disposal problem. If they sell it as pipe wrap I'm sure it can handle the task.

I'm in my second season with reflectix. Appears to be fine. I have noticed the living areas warnm up quicker and stay warmer longer. The basement is gently warmed by the pipes instead of being a hotbox from the uninsulated pipes. Even if the reflectix needs to be replaced in a few years the amount will still be minimal and well worth it. When the overpriced fiberglass goes (it will too) it will cost far more. Garbage men may not take the fiberglass thinking its asbestos then you have a disposal problem. If they sell it as pipe wrap I'm sure it can handle the task.
I've seen fiberglass insulation many years old with no sign of degradation. What makes you think it won't last?
Bob

I have seen reflextic foil deteriorate on pipes and peal away, Ive had fiberglass on steam pipes for 30 years with no deterioration. Steam heat is maybe 60-190f above reflextics recommendations, steam can maybe be near 150 -300f
We'll see won't we? If the reflectix goes in 10-15 years I'll replace with the same. Cheap and easy to install. To each his own I guess. Cutting fibreglass is a pain and requires long sleeves,mask and glasses. Refletix is 100% safe to handle and only requires scissors. The OP is doing the right thing by insulating his steam pipes. I chose an effective, affardable and easy to use solution to the same problem. I have already noticed the efficiency increase and will see an $$$ savings too.

How much asbestos insulation is in great shape? Same paper covering as the fiberglass.

Lots. Most that hasn't been disturbed.

Reflectix linear pipe wrap has an R value of 4.0 while owens corning fiberglass pipe insulation has an R value of 5.0 and appears to be far more costly and difficult to work with. Reflectix is the way to go