Insulating sash pockets

I picked up a job replacing sash cords yesterday and the homeowner said he was watching a home improvement show that illustrated a method for insulating sash pockets. I can't imagine how that could be done while allowing for the weights to go up and down. Just curious if anyone here saw the same show.

Reply to
BUB 209

I stuck the weights into some pvc pipe and used foam around them.

Reply to
Pat Keith

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote in news:20031228090828.19854.00001184@mb- m01.aol.com:

Not a chance! You'd have to remove the weights and go with a different lift mechanism. THEN you could fill the pockets with fiberglass.

NJBrad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

I can't imagine how unless you went through some sort of box assembly against the window frame, then insulated outside that. Which leads to two thoughts. First.......why bother Second......... replacement windows, then you can insulate

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

Pat, That should work until the cord or chain breaks again. I don't think it would be worth doing this since the wooden sash are so leaky to begin with. I estimate a very small or no savings in energy, but I could be wrong.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

The old sash windows in my house don't leak much at all, and they are well over 50 years old. I get less drafts and leakage from them than my brother gets out of his 5 year old "insulated" windows. No way would I even think about replacing my old wooden frame windows

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

No, but Anderson sells "pulley covers" which reduce the open space at the top of the pulley:

Generally today the object is to eliminate the sash pulley entirely and install retrofitted aluminum or vinyl friction channels, much more like modern windows. Otherwise there are alternatives to the weight hardware such as a tape balance, which winds up a little like your tape measure, allowing the majority of the cavity to be filled with insulation.

Reply to
Dan Hartung