Insulating rough plank basement door

The outside door to our basement is basically just a bunch of 1x8"pine planks nailed together (like an old shed or barn door).

As you might imagine, the door let's a fair bit of cold air conduct through (I have already caulked the gaps). I would like to insulate the door, at least in the winter, until I redo the basement and put up a real door and frame.

I was thinking of maybe just tacking up some styrofoam like panels to either the inside or the outside of the door.

Any suggestions on recommended products and approaches?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

I'd suggest that sealing is probably more important than insulating, especially because of "chimney-effect" of house. Sealing around door, to minimize infiltration. Lots of products available- you can judge what suits your situation best.

Leaks at different elevations have notable draft, like chimney. Leaks into basement and out via attic are especially bad for that.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Ditto. Caulk the cracks and use *anything* which will seal off the door perimeter. Even if you simply staple plastic over the entire area - frame to frame - until you do your final improvement. That way the cost is reduced to nearly nothing and you still have reasonable access with minimal effort/ damage.

Reply to
C & M

That will work.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Styrofoam insulation panels attached with adhesive will work fine. Contact The Dow Chemical Company at 1-866-583-2583 for a distributor nearest you.

Rich

Rich