Insulating heating pipes

Hi,

I have just purchased a house with low pressure steam radiators and an oil furnace. The pipes in the basement that feed the radiators were insulated with asbestos, which we had professionally removed over the summer.

The previous owners had installed insulation in the ceiling of the basement. Now as you can imagine, with un-insulated steam pipes radiating heat and the insulated ceiling holding it in, our unfinished basement is always rather toasty, which I am sure is an in-efficient way to be heating our house.

Eventually, I plan on insulating the pipes and removing the ceiling insulation, but which one will have a bigger positive impact on my heating bill?

Thanks

Reply to
Spider Rico

I can't think of any common reason to insulate the basement ceiling. Likewise I can't think of any reason to remove it.

Insulation the pipes should save some energy, but maybe not as much as you think. Most, but not all of the energy coming from the popes ends up in your home. However I would insulate.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Even the one that got poisoned?

Jerry

-- snipped-for-privacy@cryogenic.net snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com

Reply to
JL Grasso

Should have left it. In place, it is harmless. Oh well, too late now.

Heat does rise you you will be getting some of the benefits along the way. Not a total waste, but still some waste trhough the basement walls..

Maybe neither. If you insulate the pipes, the steam will carry further before it condenses but the heat is still moving from the basement to the upstairs.

For some reason, basement ceilings are now insulated. It may be some regulation about heated living spaces that I'm not aware of. If nothing else, insulating the pipes will give you more control over where the heat energy goes. Plumbing supply houses carry a fiberglass type insulation made just for pipes. Goes on easily in sections and has a tape to keep it in place.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Insulate the pipes. Leave the ceiling insulation right where it is.

Gary R. Lloyd

Gary R. Lloyd

I would also insulate the pipes and leave the ceiling insulation alone.

Reply to
Childfree Scott