Insulating Gas Water Heater

Depends on where the heater is located.

If it is inside your garage and subject to outside temps.......yes. If it is inside not subject to outside temps then probably not.

The real issue on water heaters is the top and top 1/3 of the tank. Since gas heaters have a vent out the top, it is pretty hard to put any insulation on the top with out running some risk of screwing up the air flow.

Also if outside then you might want to insulate the water lines as well.

this stuff is not fire proof.

I used something like this on my last electric heater. Seemed to help, I only ran the heater 2 hours a day usually.

Be damned careful about the vent and all of its properties.

Reply to
SQLit

I have a gas water heater that was installed around 1997. Does it pay to wrap one of those insulating blankets around it? Looking for all ways I can cut gas costs.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

In the long run, it probably won't matter. Any heat "lost" to the air around the heater stays *inside* the house.

Spend the money caulking/insulating windows, etc.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Insulate the tank and the hot water pipes with foam insulation

Reply to
m Ransley

Any tank built after 1989 is an ASHRAE 90 tank and already has extra insulation, so you don't need it.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Yes, in the summer it stays inside and you have to A/C it out. So you pay for the heat and then you pay for the A/C. I will admit I haven't insulated mine, but it is probably a good idea for the hour it takes.

Reply to
Toller

I hadn't thought of that. What kind of foam? Do they still have webTV?

Reply to
Toller

Only when you quote him. Filters are your friend.

Reply to
3rd eye

The polyethylene foam made for insulating pipes. Just slip it over and seal it shut.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski