Insulating Garage Ceiling

I am currently in the process of creating a nursery in the house, and I've noticed that the floor can get very cold. The room is directly above the garage.
My current feeling is that the cieling isn't insulated enough in the garage. I haven't had a chance to investigate thouroughly yet, but I imagine there is some insulation there (as if there wasn't the room would be unbearable), but not enough.
I need to rectify this problem before next winter, and was wondering if anyone had any advise as to what I should look for in the existing insulation (what is enough, etc), and possible solutions. Someone suggested gluing styrofoam insulation to the existing garage ceiling, and then painting it. Though it makes sense, I can't say if it's really a good idea or not (and I wouldn't know how to fill the seams, etc anyway). Any sage advise would be very welcome.
John

garage.
unbearable),
good
Styrofoam even at 2 inches will give you a R-4 or 5 and violate the fire codes of most areas of the USA. There are not many simple options. A heavier carpet pad might help some. Probably your into removing the ceiling and reinsulating if there is room. Is your garage door insulated? Weather stripped well? Look at the easy fixes first.
<< removing the ceiling and reinsulating if there is room. >>
This is likely the lowest cost and most effective plan. Per code, the ceiling is likely 1/2" or better drywall. Here's an idea that might be appropriate: if you pull out the panel nails and have a helper lower them to a site-built support platform, the upgraded insulation can be installed and the drywall put back up piece by piece. The project would probably take two average DIYers one Saturday morning. The only trick tool would be finding a good nail puller. Of course, a garage door opener would slow things up a bit. HTH
Joe
John Smith wrote:

My guess is that there's no insulation at all in the garage ceiling. Somewhere, you're going to have to cut a hole and look. If the joist-bays are empty, blown-in insulation would help. If you DO put up rigid foam insulation, cover it with another layer of sheetrock. Other options include adding a layer of insulated floor-decking on top of the existing floor, or just putting down carpet.